data transmission from PC to Allen-Bradely PLC through Ethernet

vislab

Dear all,

Actually I am not familiar with Allen-Bradely PLCs but now we have to figure it out how the PC sends data stream to Allen-Bradely PLC through Ethernet. The data are just multiple numeric data that comes from the sensors such as 13.5.
If think if it goes through RS232C port then it looks more straightforward and simple but I don't know how with Ethernet communication.
So if somebody already implemented this kind of work then I would appreciate your any recommendation and advice.
Right now I am just thinking this communication looks like TCP/IP server and client application.
Then thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

Sunny

use rslinx

In order to communicate your pc with you plc you need RSlinx V 2.X, from that point on you can try to connect your pc to your plc thru the serial port or thru ethernet.

You're correct that the serial implementation is easier than the Ethernet implementation, but you may already be over your head.

You did not, for example, mention which model of controller you're trying to communicate to. You mentioned PC->PLC communications, but did not mention which operating system or development environment you are working with.

Here's a link to the published data about communicating with Rockwell Automation controllers over Ethernet:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/enabled/guides.html

As Bill mentioned, many Windows users choose to leave the communications protocol to driver software like RSLinx and have their applications use a technology like OPC.

Last edited: