CntrlLgx ASCII messaging

Valleau

This is the dilemma, ControlLogix to Edwards text messaging board via EtherNet.

At first it may sound simple enough to say send it through the serial port with an ASCII write command and convert the signal, but the serial port is being utilized talking to a PC running LABVIEW.

The Edwards will accept ASCII or HEX commands, has anybody had experience messaging a DINT with hex throughput?

it may work

You can multiplex the serial port out of the ControlLogix by using
"MuxiPort" serial data multiplexer. Visit www.tomantron.com.
The output can be either DF1 full duplex or generic ASCII.
I have not tested MuxiPort with ControlLogix, however DF1 will work
with no problem and ASCII should work if you map the data
into PLC5 or SLC500 style files. MuxiPort neeeds to see an N file
for ASCII data.
Will be happy to send you a demo for a 30 day try out.

To encapsulate the data from the serial RS-232 ASCII stream onto
the TCP/IP and then back again to RS-232 you can use Iserver from Newport. The cost is about 250.
You will need two of them.