AB RIO Again

Jezz

Hi All,
I'm still having problems with my RIO instillation I'm using a AB 1747-SN scanner to talk to a AB 1771-ASB Series E adapter the fault I'm getting is that the Active and Adapter fault lights are flashing in unison the book says this is a Incorrect Starting I/O Group number and that I need to set the dip switches according to the table (I've done this and no change).
The rack I'm using is an old PLC2 rack(AB1771-A4)it has some 32 point I/O in it but I've set the Adapter to be ok with this and now I'm running out of ideas Help please this is driving me crazy banghead

Big Thanks Jezz

I think there was a thread posted here about those old racks a few weeks ago. It seems that there was an issue between series a and series b racks. I think the a's won't work with 16 point i/o but the b's will. Check with AB and your specific rack catalog #. Doesn't sound like your problem exactly, but you never know with the old stuff.

Were you using 32 point cards with the PLC 2 ????

Do the rack dip starting rack/group match the 1747-sn config???

If it's really a "1771-A4" chassis, it is only going to support 8-point I/O modules, no matter what kind of adapter you put into it.

You're going to need a 1771-A4B chassis (in production since 1985 !).

There is an A-B technote, # A16647, that goes over all the technical considerations when re-using PLC-2 hardware with newer controllers.

Okay, it's time to get dirty with the DIP switches.

Post the DIP switch settings you have for the 1771-A4B chassis, the 1771-ASB/E adapter, and the settings you've made in RSLogix 500 advanced I/O configuration for the G-file of the 1747-SN, which sets up the various I/O addresses you want the scanner to scan.

Here You go Ken

Right the Chassis first

It contains

6 * 32 point DC input cards 1771-IBN
5 * 32 point DC output cards 1771-OBN
3 * 16 point 110v ac output cards 1771-OAD

In These positions

slots 1 to 6 are 32 point Inputs
Slot 7 is 32 point output
Slot 8 is empty
Slot 9 to 12 are 32 point outputs
slots 13 to 15 are 16 point outputs

1 - Off
2 - On
3 - Off
4 - Off
5 - Off
6 - On
7 - Off
8 - Off

The 1771-ASB series E Adapter

S1

1 - 0n
2 - On
3 - 0n
4 - On
5 - 0n
6 - On
7 - 0n
8 - On

S2

1 - On
2 - Off
3 - Off
4 - Off
5 - Off
6 - Off

RIO Scanner 1747-SN

Dip Switches set to 57.6K Baud

Advanced config

Max Input words:32
Max Output words:32

Scanned Input Words : 32
Scanned Output Words :32
Interrupt service routine:0
M0 Length :3300
M1 Lenght :3300
G File Length :3

G file Data

Group 0 in each Logical Rack set to Full Rack Giving me I/O Words0 to 31

Thanks Jezz

Last edited:
Found the problem had the chassis dip switches inverted on when they should have been off and off when they should have been on..

Just a few bug in the software to sort now ..

[rainbow]Thanks to every one who offered help over the past few weeks it's made my life a lot easer.....[/rainbow]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It seems I remember something confusing about the dip switch markings on that adaptor module, I'm not sure what it was, but it was easy to get them backwards.