RS View tag addressing

wrongboy

Hey everyone, I’m a little new to PLC’s so bare with me. I realize this is a simple question but I’m stuck. I’m using RSLogix 5000 and RS View Studio ME. I’m trying to get the tags associated with my HMI to transmit data back and forth with the tags from Logix. I’ve read the help sections saying that you put the tag address in the data source field for the tag browser but I’m not sure what the tag address is. I know I’m missing something simple here but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You can import ALL of the tags into your project. It doesn't matter if you don't know which one you want, all will move into your browser. That is the beauty of the LG5K and the PV+'s.
Just re-read the manual about setting up a project from scratch. It is the best way to learn if you have the time.

Do you have a panelview plus with logix controller on your desk as a test unit? If so, you can try to set up in rs enterprise the comm link to talk to the PLC live and then you can browse through the CONTROLLER TAGS you've created in the 5000 PLC. I don't think the PV+ can see the program tags though, but I could be wrong.
Good luck.

Make sure that the data source includes the name of the PLC in the tag address. For example -

::[PLC_NAME]TAG_NAME

where PLC_NAME is what you named the PLC when you first started the project. (see controller properties)

I've tried to import tags into RSView but I haven't been able to make it work. I used the export tags function in logix to create a *.csv file and then tried to import them into RSView using the import tags function but I get an error message saying that the file is not a RSView .csv file or the file does not contain any tags.

The leading "::" is only needed if the tagname itself contains a colon character.
Also, [PLC_NAME] would be better described as [IO_SERVER_ACCESS_NAME].

Norml said:
Make sure that the data source includes the name of the PLC in the tag address. For example -

::[PLC_NAME]TAG_NAME

where PLC_NAME is what you named the PLC when you first started the project. (see controller properties)