SLC download problem

wilheldp

I have a SLC 5/03 to which I am trying to download a program. I have an Allen Bradley 9-pin, D-sub cable plugged into my COM1 port and the Channel 0 RS-232 port on the SLC. I can't seem to find the SLC on the network using RSLinx Lite.

The only problem that I can see is how the lights are flashing on the SLC. There is a pattern where the Fault light comes on, then the other 5 lights come on, then they all go off. It repeats this pattern indefinitely. Is that some type of fixable fault?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the pattern of LEDs that you are seeing, but try the RSLinx DH-485 driver too. If the 9 pin port has been configured as DH-485, you won't get back on with the DF-1 driver. However I suspect that you problem is related to what is causing the LEDs to flash.

One last thing... Is the Jumper on the SLC power supply in the correct position for your supply voltage?

I tried the only DH-485 driver that I saw on the list, but I don't think it works over the COM1 serial port. My SLC has a DH-485 port (modified Ethernet-looking port) on the front of it. Anyway, I kept getting error messages when I tried to start the DH-485 driver.

BTW, I know the port on the computer works because I have programmed a QuickPanel over it in the near past (but it doesn't have control over the port any more, I've restarted since then).

I also checked the jumper on both power supplies that I have checked with this SLC. Both of them were correctly set to 115V when I used them.

Thanks for the suggestions...have any more?

No, I cannot successfully auto-set the DF-1 driver. I would be really perplexed if I could do that, and couldn't see the SLC.

How does one clear the SLC memory? I've never had to do that before.

TIA

The LED flashing pattern tells me you have a CPU problem.

If you don't mind loosing the program in the processor then try resetting the processor:

1. Power down and remove the CPU.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Using a small flatblade screwdriver short out the capacitor on the backside of the printed circuit board. It should be fairly obvious if you look.

4. Keep the short in place for about 15 sec to allow the memory to totally reset.

5. Power up. Everything is now set to factory defaults. Using RSLinx DF1 Autoconfig to gain access.

If the LED pattern remains as it is, then I would be looking for a replacement.

Got it!

I just had to clear the memory then the auto-config worked just fine.

Thank you very much gentlemen...there is a good chance you will be seeing further questions from me as my little project progresses.