Logix Designer Version Upgrade and Controller firmware upgrade

VFU

Hi folks,

I have been working with AB for the past year or so and have run into some issues regarding version upgrades.

My Logix Designer (studio 5000) runs at version 32.011 and I would like to upgrade it to the newer version which is V33. I tried to download the newer version using my serial# and the latest version I can download is the V32. My question is, do I need to contact our AB distributor and purchase it separately? It looks like our support with them has expired as we went for perpetual.

My second question is, I need to flash my PLCs firmware to V32.014 or a newer version as a requirement of a client. I did download the newer version and will install it into my controller. How does it work? Will I be able to open my project after upgrading the firmware of the processor? In this scenario, my Logix Designer will run at version 32.011 and my processor will have a newer firmware running in it.

I have never done this before so I'm a little confused.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Hi folks,

I have been working with AB for the past year or so and have run into some issues regarding version upgrades.

My Logix Designer (studio 5000) runs at version 32.011 and I would like to upgrade it to the newer version which is V33. I tried to download the newer version using my serial# and the latest version I can download is the V32. My question is, do I need to contact our AB distributor and purchase it separately? It looks like our support with them has expired as we went for perpetual.

My second question is, I need to flash my PLCs firmware to V32.014 or a newer version as a requirement of a client. I did download the newer version and will install it into my controller. How does it work? Will I be able to open my project after upgrading the firmware of the processor? In this scenario, my Logix Designer will run at version 32.011 and my processor will have a newer firmware running in it.

I have never done this before so I'm a little confused.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

You can flash your controller to the latest MINOR revision of 32 with no issues. So if you flash your v32.011 controller to v32.014, you will still be able to open and use your v32 ACD file.

I'd defer to your distributor on v33. We use a toolkit so I don't know the ins/outs/pitfalls of the different licensing options. It used to be that when you buy a version, it came with a year techconnect contract. You could get updates as long as your techconnect contract was current. Not sure how it works these days.

Agree. Reach out to your local distributor and they can let you know your options. Purchasing a whole new copy isn't necessary, reactivating support will get you the ability to get newer versions.

For now, don't upgrade the firmware to v33. Wait until your PC has v33 installed. If the controller is v33 and your PC is using v32 they won't be able to talk to each other. Likewise when you get v33 you want to install it with your existing v32. You won't remove 32, you will add 33. That (adding) is the default when installing.

If your computer were using v33 and your controller was v32 they again could not talk to each other. So adding v33 to your existing v32 would allow you to talk to any v32 or v33 controller.

OG

Last edited:
It used to be that when you buy a version, it came with a year techconnect contract. You could get updates as long as your techconnect contract was current. Not sure how it works these days.

Purchasing a whole new copy isn't necessary, reactivating support will get you the ability to get newer versions.

My understanding is that this is still the case, you need active TechConnect support to get the newer revisions.

Thank you all for your response. I appreciate it.

Yes, I will reach out to my AB distributor and check what my options are.