Free PLC programming software question

What's your point with that 3 word post? You vaguely mentioned "hooks" or "flags", which I didn't disagree with, then come back like I didn't bring anything new to the table - your point #3 is drastically different from an asymmetric cryptographic system where the key could only be obtained in/from the source code (or possibly from memory at just the right time - is this legally a different case???).

Stephen Luft said:
As previously stated...

In the past there have been numerous third party companies trying to compete with AB by providing their version of programming software for AB PLCs. The only one that did succeed was ICOM, which was eventually bought by AB. This was in good old DOS days. The guys who started ICOM I believe both worked for AB before branching out on their own. So they did have insider info.
There were several companies trying to do this in Windows world but they went under, I can't remember all their names off hand. I believe that there is a third party company right now that offers AB look alike programming to run on a PC (TOPDOC and now SoftPLC). Check them out, I have never used them so I can't say how good they are.
Taylor industrial software was another company that attempted to compete with AB. They did not make it. Dean Giancolla who was originally with AB plastics division worked for them. There were others but I can't remember anymore who they were.

If (when) plc manufactures adopted the iec programming language this could open up all sorts of opportunities for software developers. In the ideal world they could develop a generic front-end and then write drivers for each plc type. In a similar way that OPC has simplified communication interfaces.
I believe this would significantly
- reduce development risk (manufacturer ending a model just as you complete your software)
- increase software quality
- reduce development time
We can only dream!!