Panel view button question

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to send decimal numbers that correspond to different programs (program 1-16). Using a button in PV I can trigger any program that can be called out in binary with one bit (example=1=00001, 2=00010, 3=00100 )
I cant use a button for a number like 5=00101......I can accomplish what i need to do with a large number of rungs and tags but I know there is a way to trigger multiple bits in a word with one button............Im sure i did this before but do not recall how. Any help would be great. FACTORY TALK VIEW STUDIO VIEW MACHINE ADDITION/ STUDIO 5000

button 15= 01111, button 16=10000

More info

16 individual buttons that will reference silo contents on a pop up screen for 12 milk silos

This script calls out a bit of the word SAMPLE_TAG. {::[PLC] SAMPLE_TAG.1}
I would like to call out more that one bit of the word, I have tried
{::[plc] SAMPLE_TAG.1,3}. It said the syntax was valid but it did not work. Where can I find a learning source for panel view syntax???

Try this...

For "15" = {::[PLC]SAMPLE_TAG} >> 0 & 15

For "16" = {::[PLC]SAMPLE_TAG} >> 5 & 1

p.s. you had written a space before SAMPLE_TAG here on the Forum. Check it's not in your application as I don't think that is valid syntax.

Regards,
George

Sorry, I was just passing through earlier and wanted to give you something quick to try. Now that I've taken a bit longer to reread your opening post, I've noticed something else may also be incorrect in your syntax. I had overlooked the fact you mentioned "STUDIO 5000"...

If you are manually assigning direct references to tags in a Logix 5000 controller then in your syntax you need to define whether it is a Controller-Scoped tag or a Program-Scoped tag.

If SAMPLE_TAG is a Controller-Scoped tag then you do not need the :: prefix. This is only used when referencing Program-Scoped tags.

So if Controller-Scoped it is referenced at the higher level...

Example: {[PLC]SAMPLE_TAG} >> 0 & 15

Which is "Controller-Scope to follow, SHORTCUT, TAG, ..."

If SAMPLE_TAG is a Program-Scoped tag then you must add the :: prefix. However, for Logix 5000 controllers you must also define the Program under which the tag resides...

Example: {::[PLC]Program:MyProgram.SAMPLE_TAG} >> 0 & 15

Which is "Program-Scope to follow, SHORTCUT, PROGRAM PATH, TAG, ..."

This defines the full path that RSLinx Enterprise or FactoryTalk Linx requires to drill down to the Program-Scoped tag.

If unsure you can link your offline ACD file to the HMI application to browse for the tags you want (or browse online directly) and the software will enter the correct syntax for the tags you select. You would then just need to append the syntax you want to try after the now valid direct references.

We just had this earlier in the week...

Factorytalk Syntax Address

Regards,
George

does not work, says syntax is valid but does causes error on panel view. I've tried variations of you idea with no success. Cant remember how to send picts here...to send you

{::[L71]Program:Raw_Milk.SILO1_SELECTION.1} I can trigger one bit of a word. I need to make decimal from binary for up to #16.....so 4 bits (15=01111) need to be sent with one PVP button press.

bad syntax

here is the error on panel view for the suggested script. I am beginning to think I may have used a diff type of button the last time I did this....Ive tried every combination I can think of

hello Dcam, you can create number input Cursor Point button, then input number(0--16),limit 16, then on the program you can set number input Cursor Point button is decimal numbers or binary numbers, then you can equal instruction compare decimal number or binary number. the number_1(binary) and number is you create number input Cursor Point button address

Examper.png

Last edited:
If you need to set the Silo word to a value then the Interlocked push button can write a value to a word. So 16 buttons with values set 1-16.

interlock PB.PNG

Good stuff cwal16, that's a much simpler solution (y)

I hadn't time today to try the syntax I had suggested? I've a recollection on using it before but it was many years ago in a previous role.

EDIT: Just to add more info...

22024 - How and when to use the Interlock push button
Access Level: TechConnect

G.

Last edited:
you guys are great, when I get to work I will implement these great ideas. I need to set up parameter files for each silo , they will share a pop up for product selection that will control agitator speeds and other product specific things. cwal61 ,I cant believe I didn't see that button value option. Funny enough I made it work last night by using only binary references to decimal that could be called out with one bit....like 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128.......it worked! crude though.....I love this site and always tell up and coming plc automators to get into it. Thank you all.