PLC5 rack addressing

I think you're right about it being done to make it easier to tell RIO from DH+. I never bothered to follow that. It didn't actually matter as long as the wiring for all nodes matched.

Always hated the modules that flipped the numbering. I had a general rule for both networks of blue to #1. For most modules #1 was on top so at a glance you could verify. But some modules reversed the connection so #1 was on bottom. Hated that.

OG

"The Highway is Clear" was a phrase we used to remember to use the Clear conductor for DH+ pin 1, and Blue for RIO pin 1. If you are consistent and have a lot of these networks installed, it can be helpful.

What was even more helpful was a cable label that indicated the type of comms along with a reference like rack number (RIO) or PLC name or node number (DH+). ie "RIO RACK 3", "DH+ NODE 6"

"The Highway is Clear" was a phrase we used to remember to use the Clear conductor for DH+ pin 1, and Blue for RIO pin 1. If you are consistent and have a lot of these networks installed, it can be helpful.

What was even more helpful was a cable label that indicated the type of comms along with a reference like rack number (RIO) or PLC name or node number (DH+). ie "RIO RACK 3", "DH+ NODE 6"

Cable labeling for comms cables ? what a luxury you had !

Many installations I have worked on had no such ident attached, simply meaning it was either I/O or comms.

The devices the cable connected to were software configurable, and you had no idea from/to where it was connected.

Many hours spent "buzzing" cables out, simply because ident was not attached, and of course that meant disconnection and downtime to the systems.