You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 2nd, 2019, 10:43 AM   #1
lesmar96
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

directsoft 6 I/O configuration

Good Morning Friends,

Hope you all had happy holidays!

I am working at a water treatment plant that runs on a Koyo D4-450 plc. It is my first experience with DirectSoft and I am struggling to understand some things.

According to the manual, the I/O configuration is only available when live and online with the PLC. I am not currently onsite and remote access is not an option here, so I am not connected to the plc.

They are having some control issues and the rung I'm investigating has a NO contact labeled C112 and a NC contact named C110.

The cross-reference takes me to where C112 is a coil controlled by a NO contact named X341. C110 is controlled by NO contact X343.

So "X" is input, but how do I figure out which physical inputs X341 and X343 relate to?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 2nd, 2019, 10:52 AM   #2
scott.lawrence
United States

does your system have remote I/O?

IIRC, it's usually to do with that
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:04 AM   #3
lesmar96
United States

yes, I believe so.

I am still trying to figure out the exact hardware configuration of this setup.

I have the main plc rack and I/O. Then a newer setup when they added some more equipment. It is another i/O rack with a Direct Logic 405EBC at the head.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 12:50 PM   #4
lesmar96
United States

so I have X0-70 which I assume are the local I/O points. Then I have X340-373 which apparently are the remote I/O.

that makes sense for the descriptions given to the inputs

So do you simply suppose that X340 is the first input on the remote rack and go from there?
Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:17 AM   #5
icky812
United States

The only way to find out for sure would be to hook up to the system with the ERM workbench tool and see how it is configured. The workbench tool lets you pick any starting address you like as long as it is on a word boundary.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:18 PM   #6
lesmar96
United States

That's disappointing.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:18 PM   #7
lesmar96
United States

With my other plc experience, it seems unique that there is no way to configure this within the software and not have to be done all live.
Old January 4th, 2019, 12:08 PM   #8
icky812
United States

This is a 20+ year old PLC design that was done by three separate companies. I will agree that it is less than ideal, but that was how it was done back then. Our newer systems have everything in one package like you would expect.
Old January 4th, 2019, 12:13 PM   #9
lesmar96
United States

I have been able to find a way to answer my questions so I worked out for now.

yea, I know this system is old and this controller is obsolete.
Old January 9th, 2019, 03:06 PM   #10
lesmar96
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icky812 View Post
The only way to find out for sure would be to hook up to the system with the ERM workbench tool and see how it is configured. The workbench tool lets you pick any starting address you like as long as it is on a word boundary.
This control system is setup point-to-point, i.e. there is one ethernet cable running from the main CPU to the remote ethernet i/o module. Is there any way to log in with the ERM workbench tool and see the I/O configuration without disrupting the communication between the CPU and remote i/o. According to the software, I am supposed to unplug the cable from the CPU and plug it into my laptop, but I cannot do that since this system is online and running.
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:11 AM   #11
icky812
United States

Not with point to point. You would need a switch in between.
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:12 AM   #12
lesmar96
United States

that is kind of what I thought.

So, as I said before, this is an up and running treatment plant. Is there any way I can install a switch without disrupting the operation? If I momentarily unplug it and flip it to a switch, is the communication supposed to pick right back up?

Also I was wondering about making changes while online with the plc. How will a program download affect where the program is running? the sequencing, internal timers, etc. will they all get reset??
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:06 AM   #13
icky812
United States

Quote:
Is there any way I can install a switch without disrupting the operation? If I momentarily unplug it and flip it to a switch, is the communication supposed to pick right back up?

Probably not. The way the ERM/EBC remote IO is set up by default any disruption in communications will stop the program and cause a fault.

Quote:
Also I was wondering about making changes while online with the plc. How will a program download affect where the program is running? the sequencing, internal timers, etc. will they all get reset??
This is entirely dependent on how it was programmed and setup. If it was done properly, there shouldn't be anything but a bump to the scan time as the download happens. Everything should go into a pause state and then resume where it left off. If it wasn't done properly then ?!?!?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum