DirectSOFT 6 upgrading from version 5.3.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
We have an old AutomationDirect DL405 (CPU 440) PLC, and we've been using DirectSOFT 5.3.
Since we are NOT upgrading this PLC for a few years, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade the software to DirectSOFT 6.

Has anybody followed this route in the past?
Does it worth the cost of the license and the hassle of upgrading?
Do the 5.3 projects convert automatically (and totally) to version 6?

I will appreciate the feedback!
Thank you!

We have version 6.3 and one of our customers still has version 5. Since they don't use any of the new features, and their program is already long and a bit complex, I have not implemented any significant changes to the code, so sometimes I use my laptop with version 6.3 and other times when I need to view it remotely using their PC, I connect with the older version.

I am pretty sure that if I were to save my copy of the file to their machine, that the older version would not open it, so I have made edits to the documentation separately for them.

Here is a good list of the improvements you would get by upgrading:
https://hosteng.com/sw-products/directsoft/DirectSOFT6.htm

We have version 6.3 and one of our customers still has version 5. Since they don't use any of the new features, and their program is already long and a bit complex, I have not implemented any significant changes to the code, so sometimes I use my laptop with version 6.3 and other times when I need to view it remotely using their PC, I connect with the older version.

I am pretty sure that if I were to save my copy of the file to their machine, that the older version would not open it, so I have made edits to the documentation separately for them.

Here is a good list of the improvements you would get by upgrading:
https://hosteng.com/sw-products/directsoft/DirectSOFT6.htm
Thank you, Okie!
We are not planning on changing the existing code, but I was wondering if the newest version (63. in this case) had a better user interface, easier to do procedures, better online capabilities, etc.
In a few words, have you noticed a real improvement in those areas I mentioned above?

Thank you, Okie!
We are not planning on changing the existing code, but I was wondering if the newest version (63. in this case) had a better user interface, easier to do procedures, better online capabilities, etc.
In a few words, have you noticed a real improvement in those areas I mentioned above?

I haven't used either version enough to be able to tell you I saw any noticeable difference in the user interface. The ability to export documentation is about the only thing I have taken advantage of with the newer version. I have a vague memory of trying to use a keyboard shortcut to copy and paste something while using the old version and it didn't work, which reminded me that there are differences because it was something I had done many times with the newer one.

Thank you again!
So you end up with a ready to use program, right? No errors or warnings afterwards?

No errors or warnings. It just opens the file like normal.