You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old October 13th, 2020, 02:40 AM   #16
Lare
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by theColonel26 View Post
I did get the 4K display though.

You don't need Siemens TIA portal then?
Old October 13th, 2020, 12:27 PM   #17
BrianD
United States

We just received Dell Latitude 5424 Rugged with Windows 10. It seems to be good except I can't put version 21 Studio 5000 on it.
Old October 13th, 2020, 02:02 PM   #18
Jim3846
United States

I want a laptop where I don't have to use electrical tape to cover the docking station port on bottom of laptop. I lost one laptop when I forgot to tape that shorting dock port piece of ****. Frustrating to say the least at metal shaving bits at construction sites.

The serial issue is always going to be there just buy a USB to DB9 interface and get all the gender bender connectors. I have a db9 to RJ45 connector where I can select the pins I want with a pin pusher tool

I need the VMware software on a laptop for old software, so use same laptop for both.

I need 2 usb ports, 1 ethernet hard port, 1 ethernet wireless.
Old October 13th, 2020, 02:42 PM   #19
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I 2nd the suggestion for Lenovo P15.
Old October 14th, 2020, 02:35 PM   #20
tarrant79
Supporting Member
United States

$1000 Acer Nitro 5

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Computer...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm looking at this acer, im only looking at spending around 1k. The company is super cheap and my personal system just died, so I'll probably just buy this myself. Its got 2xM2drive+1x2.5inSSD drive slots. Enet, 3usb, 1usb3.1. Someone, may say...oh what about horrible AB licensing: I got the AB CMSTICK8GB, I just need to click the USB into my computer once every 7 days and I can run and gun in grace mode for another 7 days.
Old October 14th, 2020, 03:55 PM   #21
Rson
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankhornjp View Post
I just got a new Dell Precision 7740. I had a Dell Precision M4600 for about 7 years before this one and it handled rough environments just fine. The new one has 3 standard USB ports and 2 USB-c thunderbolt ports, HDMI and DisplayPort, Ethernet Port, and headphone out.

I didn't want Win10, yet, so I ordered it with Ubuntu and run everything in VMs (i even turned my old laptop into a VM so I wouldn't lose anything). 64GB ram, i7 (6 cores), 256gb OS drive, 1TB 2nd for VMs. I paid $2400. If I get another 7 years from it, its less than $10/week.
I've had a Dell M4800 for the last 5 years or so (typing on it now). You have to be a little careful on which processor you would get, but mine supports 32GB, I still have a SSD and the DVD drive can be turned into a second SSD, which I have done.

The only downside has been that the aluminum body is HEAVY and thick compared to the disposable garbage that most laptops are today.

I would go Dell again without hesitation, but for all I know they are using the same cheap plastic parts everyone else is in this day and age.
Old October 14th, 2020, 06:14 PM   #22
VAN
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant79 View Post
[url]The company is super cheap and my personal system just died, so I'll probably just buy this myself.
I wouldn't use anything personal at a site or for a company.

If your company wont give you tools (laptop) for the job at least make them pay insurance to replace yours when it breaks.
Old October 16th, 2020, 07:28 PM   #23
harryting
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryting View Post
I 2nd the suggestion for Lenovo P15.
On a 2nd look, I probably go with the T15 instead. Less bulky and uses USB-C charger. The downside is the RAM is soldered onto the motherboard.
Old October 16th, 2020, 09:15 PM   #24
AutomationTechBrian
United States

My old Lenovo T530 (3rd generation i7) is on the right, the new P15 (10th generation i9) is on the left. They are almost exactly the same size. One physical difference, I like the built-in number pad on the P15. However, the old laptop is so nicely setup for everything I do that I'm not sure when I'll transition to using the new one. It's always a big time commitment getting all the non-VM programs loaded.
Attached Images
File Type: png Laptops.png (917.7 KB, 26 views)
Old October 16th, 2020, 11:21 PM   #25
theColonel26
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomationTechBrian View Post
My old Lenovo T530 (3rd generation i7) is on the right, the new P15 (10th generation i9) is on the left. They are almost exactly the same size. One physical difference, I like the built-in number pad on the P15. However, the old laptop is so nicely setup for everything I do that I'm not sure when I'll transition to using the new one. It's always a big time commitment getting all the non-VM programs loaded.
just clone your old laptop drive on to the new laptop drive. Why make work for yourself. Windows will install all the drivers you need.

I did that with my new P15.

Fact my "Fun Facts" are never fun
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum