Love my laptop, but time for upgrade. any suggestions?

Now I'm tempted to buy a Dell Precision M7510, if my budget permits...

running out of time to get windows 7 pro

Other than tiger direct, anyway to get a high spec'd lenovo?
And which one?

If you do any outside work I highly recommend Getac S410. We have bought several here and they are outperforming our previous Toughbook's and Dell ATG's.

If you do any outside work I highly recommend Getac S410. We have bought several here and they are outperforming our previous Toughbook's and Dell ATG's.

Wow, I want one of their Getac X500, but probable outsized on the price...

I have a Mac BooK Pro. I like the resolution, light weight, aluminum case, track pad and battery life. Use Fusion. You can switch between Mac OS X and Win 10 with a swipe on the track pad.

The Apple track pad is the only track pad I have used that doesn't make me want to grab for a mouse.

If you don't like Fusion then use boot camp but then it is hard to transfer data between operating systems.

agree on track pad

I used to use boot camp. At the time I bought my mac book pro, it was the only computer that I could buy that would run XP at the time.

Unfort. some of the dongles I use for my control and scada software don't work well w/ the virtual machines.

I have a Mac BooK Pro. I like the resolution, light weight, aluminum case, track pad and battery life. Use Fusion. You can switch between Mac OS X and Win 10 with a swipe on the track pad.

The Apple track pad is the only track pad I have used that doesn't make me want to grab for a mouse.

If you don't like Fusion then use boot camp but then it is hard to transfer data between operating systems.

When I was looking for a backup laptop in case I ran in to issues at a remote job site I got a second T420s. I can't find laptops that have monitor, power, ethernet ports on the back anymore because of the way they all hinge the screen these days. I like to have all the cables run out the back of the laptop when it is on my desk at my office or at the power station instead of taking up space on the side of the laptop where I put my mouse or notebook.

In both my T420s I have 16 GB ram and an SSD, in one I have two SSDs as there is one in the ultra-bay. The T420s could also take another SSD on the mini PCIe or M2 or whatever the interface is that the wifi module plugs in to there is a second unused slot.

I only notice myself wishing for a faster computer when I am connected to 6 PLCs, have two virtual machines running, one with citect running on a project with 9,000 tags, and have 2-3 modbus data loggers running each writing 150 tags to disk every 200ms and this data being plotted in real time all day long. But it didn't used to seem to be a problem so maybe the issue is being low on disk space or not having rebooted since March.

Actually I find the integrated graphics module is a bit less than snappy when I have two external monitors plugged in, (one is a 27" 2550x1400)

I am probably done with lenovo after 10 years of thinkpads I think they have finally turned them in to the same **** as the other manufacturers. I think they have changed the power connector so my collection of half a dozen power bricks (45W, 60W, 90W) won't be compatible with any new Lenovo machines.

people love macbooks, there is supposed to be a new one out today.

I'd also consider the microsoft surface book, I spend a lot of time writing on PDFs for drawing markups and my co-worker really likes his.

You mentioned that you have two external monitors plugged in. I have a T420, how do you do this?

+1 to all pro-SSD comments. Hands down best upgrade to have. Lighter, way faster / more responsive, uses less power. Personally recommend Samsung or crucial brand SSDs.

lol, I forgot about this.

Thanks for giving me credit on this btw.

awesome!

Anything with an i7, 8gb ram, and 256 SSD, and 4gb video should smash everything needed for programming and most designs.

I prefer gaming systems as their performance is unmatched against standard consumer units. They are bigger and heavier, but nothing a good backpack can't solve!
I just purchased a MSI Dominator to retire my Sony Vaio as it was one of the few I found that had more than 3 USB ports (6 to be exact). As mentioned above - a dongle or two and a mouse would typically fill 2 to 3 usb ports before you even connect to a device.

Everyone on this thread has given great advice. Only one condescending comment (that means talking down to people btw).

Love ya all.

Will be researching all of these suggestions.

Update:
I ended up buying a Dell Precision 15.6'' M7510 i7-6820HQ 16GB 512GB SSD.
So far I'm very happy with it.
I can go up to 64 GB RAM.

That was my first choice Elcan, but started looking long and hard at the ibm thinkpads. Similar specs on my P5 for $1100. Even got the 6 x faster than SSD hard drive PCIe or something?