Why did AB 1394 loose its program?

micgent

I was called out to a customer, 5 axis system headed with a Bulletin 1394 5kW IMC-S series A FV3.7A controller.
Top 'Control Status' LED illuminated to indicate 'Memory fault - Setup or
program checksum error'

This occurred after a maintenance power outage!
Customer assumed it had lost its program due to a failed backup battery!

Having zero experience with 1394, PLC.net came to the rescue. Reading the threads I needed GML Commander, a 2-2 3-3 5-5 serial cable and the script file. I gained all the aforementioned, then attended site.

I gained coms and uploaded to PC (and saved) what was already in the controller and compared it to the provided script file, they were massively different. I tried the 'RESET' button and the 'RUN' function of GML Commander, which would start then end what looked to be an empty program! I downloaded the 'GOOD' script file and pressed 'RUN' things were looking up, I then pressed the 'RESET' button which I believe loaded memory into RAM working area, the machine then homed and worked.

My Question is: Does the 1394 have a backup battery? I see no mention of it in the manual. Why did the controller loose its memory?

I need to advise my customer as they are feeling vulnerable right now.

Thanks
Mike

No they don't have a back-up battery.
Why they loose the program, now idea.
We have 4 systems running and in the last 12 year I've had this only one time on one of the 4 systems.
Reloaded the program, and never touched it after.

So I would say "fingers crossed"....

The RA Knowledgebase suggests that there's a lithium battery that backs up the RAM in the 1394.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27691/page/1

But it's not field-replaceable, so the controller would have to go through Rockwell's remanufacturing process for it to be replaced.

Hi, I have a damaged drive here in the workshop I will dismantle and inspect for lithium battery. We are an electronics 3rd party repair company so will manage battery change if we locate it.

Thank you for the advice.

micgent