You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Tactician
Canada

Ethernet/IP question

Hello,
I am new to this forum but have been around PLC's for awhile. I am doing a design for a new flexible automation fixture and had a question. Does Ethernet/IP I/O have the same ability for plug and play as Devicenet? I am planning on using removable parts that have I/O mounted to them. It will be then replaced by a new fixture with a separate block.

Thank you for your time.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2
MarkNightingale
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Depending on what type of I/O you are using will depend on what is 'plug and play'.

Typically any I/O modules will be plug and play, as long as you are replacing with the same module.

The ethernet adapter however will not have an IP address when it is shipped, so therefore before adding to the system this IP address will need to be assigned.

This is for Rockwell products but I am sure Siemens and many other brands are the same.

Mark
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Tactician
Canada

If I assign the I/O a static IP, will I be able to inhibit the logic when I add a new I/O block? And that way keeping any existing logic specific to each individual fixture? I will be running a compactlogix system.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #4
MarkNightingale
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Yeah you would be able to do that.

All you would have to do is have separate routines for each I/O block and put a condition in front of the JSR.

However you would also need all of the unused I/O blocks in the I/O configuration tree, where you will get yellow exclamation marks and an I/O not responding, which for me when writing code will safely stop the system.

Mark
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum