RSLogix 500 Version 3

rob103180

I have came across some Allen Bradley SLC processors with no backups running version 3 firmware. Does anyone have software that old or a connection? Rockwell will not support. Any assistance will get appreciated!

SLC 500 controllers have a part number and a series that help us identify them. We never really identified them as "firmware version X". That really doesn't tell us anything.

Can you tell us the full catalog #, series, and if it is available the OS Rev. Some, but not all controllers will show the operating system revision on the label.

That can help us identify what software version is needed.

While Rockwell may have obsoleted the controller, your local Rockwell distributor may be willing to help you out. Likewise you can have a Rockwell service tech come out and help you out. Tech support may not be helping, but their service people will. Reach out to your distributor. They can either help you or connect you with someone that can.

OG

Last edited:
All I can currently provide is the information from RSLinx. They are versions 3.01 and 3.013. Rockwell SLC support informed me that version 3 is required with RSLinx 2.5 or older.

Assuming you have the right serial connection hardware, even the latest RS Logix 500 software should be able to pull the program out for backup purposes. There will be no annotation but its better than nothing.

All I can currently provide is the information from RSLinx. They are versions 3.01 and 3.013. Rockwell SLC support informed me that version 3 is required with RSLinx 2.5 or older.

Newer versions of RSLogix can talk to older SLC controllers. It isn't required that you have those exact software versions.

In RSLinx do you see anything like 1747-L514 or something similar?

OG

If these are SLC-500 family controllers, then RSLogix 500 and RSLinx Classic should support them with virtually any revision. RSLogix 500 goes back to WinLinx and Windows 3.1.

Unlike the early ControlLogix, you don't need a specifically matching version of RSLogix 500.

If you don't have RSLogix 500, then you have a more essential problem that you don't have the tools to back these controllers up, or edit and troubleshoot them. Any integrator or contractor who works on SLC's can back them up in a few minutes.

I have RSLogix 500. The problem is an error that I receive.
I can see the processor over serial and Ethernet. RSLinx indicates 1747-L551/C and 1747-L553/C.

"Corrupted Processor"

This happens on all of them.

I can see the processor over serial and Ethernet. RSLinx indicates 1747-L551/C and 1747-L553/C.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information ! So they're not ancient SLCs, more like 10 years old.

Let's see if maybe your RSLogix 500 and RSLinx are older than the controller firmware. Post what version numbers you have for both of those.

I remember an issue in 2006 or so where if you used RSLogix 500 version 7.10 or newer to download to an SLC-5/05 with Version 10 firmware, then older versions of RSLogix 500 could no longer connect to the controller. The error code was something like "corrupted processor".

RA Knowledgebase article 36596 describes that issue.

The solution was that you needed RSLogix 500 version 7.10 or newer, or you could define the CPU as one with the pre-v10 firmware and then re-download, in order to allow your RSLogix 500 version 7.x or older colleagues to regain access.

Your info about seeing version 3 as the firmware version makes me scratch my head. Let's look at it again.

I have an SLC-5/05 controller handy. In the RSLinx browse, it shows up with the descriptor

SLC-5/05, 1747-L551/C C/11 - DC 3.46

That means it's Series C hardware, which can support firmware 10 and up and has the 10/100 Ethernet plug. "C/11" means the operating system is OS501 Series C, Firmware Revision 11. The Ethernet daughtercard is version 3.46

But if you right-click and select Device Properties, you see some misleading CIP Identity Object information:

Vendor: 1 (Allen-Bradley)
Product Type: 12 (Programmable Controller)
Product Code: 176 (SLC-5/05 model 551)
Product Revision: 3.011 (WTF ?)

My best guess is that the CIP Identity Object is "3.011" because this is a Series C Firmware 11 controller.

I've said it before: SLC-500 firmware revision naming and numbering is partially due to the late Jon Spry, who introduced the Milwaukee product team to the charms of aged tequila in the early 2000's. We miss you, big guy.

Thanks for the information ! So they're not ancient SLCs, more like 10 years old.

Let's see if maybe your RSLogix 500 and RSLinx are older than the controller firmware. Post what version numbers you have for both of those.

I remember an issue in 2006 or so where if you used RSLogix 500 version 7.10 or newer to download to an SLC-5/05 with Version 10 firmware, then older versions of RSLogix 500 could no longer connect to the controller. The error code was something like "corrupted processor".

RA Knowledgebase article 36596 describes that issue.

The solution was that you needed RSLogix 500 version 7.10 or newer, or you could define the CPU as one with the pre-v10 firmware and then re-download, in order to allow your RSLogix 500 version 7.x or older colleagues to regain access.

Your info about seeing version 3 as the firmware version makes me scratch my head. Let's look at it again.

I have an SLC-5/05 controller handy. In the RSLinx browse, it shows up with the descriptor

That means it's Series C hardware, which can support firmware 10 and up and has the 10/100 Ethernet plug. "C/11" means the operating system is OS501 Series C, Firmware Revision 11. The Ethernet daughtercard is version 3.46

But if you right-click and select Device Properties, you see some misleading CIP Identity Object information:

Vendor: 1 (Allen-Bradley)
Product Type: 12 (Programmable Controller)
Product Code: 176 (SLC-5/05 model 551)
Product Revision: 3.011 (WTF ?)

My best guess is that the CIP Identity Object is "3.011" because this is a Series C Firmware 11 controller.

I've said it before: SLC-500 firmware revision naming and numbering is partially due to the late Jon Spry, who introduced the Milwaukee product team to the charms of aged tequila in the early 2000's. We miss you, big guy.

Current Versions
RSLinx Classic 3.90.00 CPR 9 SR 9
RSLogix 500 7.10.00 (CPR 7)
RSLogix 500 9.00.00 (CPR 9)

I was referencing Product Revision earlier. You're right.

RSLogix 500 version 7.1 might not be able to upload from these controllers, but Version 9 absolutely should.

I'm online with my 1747-L551 FRN 11 and checked my RSLogix 500; it's version 9.05.

The ControlLogix software; RSLogix 5000 (later renamed FactoryTalk Studio Logix Designer) can have multiple versions installed on the same computer because it needs a specific compiler for each major firmware revision.

But RSLogix 500 is a single instance installation, because it can handle all past versions of the controller and operating system with any new install.