Rockwell Codemeter

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Whats the true purpose of this? I just spent two days installing Rockwell software and noticed this software being installed and running. Quick search basically says we cant do anything about it. Just mostly interested in what exactly it is for. From what I have seen it is supposed to protect IP for both the end user and Rockwell. Is a webserver typically used to protect IP? Has anyone looked into what kind of info this software is collecting and broadcasting?

diat150 said:
Rockwell Codemeter

"CodeMeter" is not Rockwell's; it belongs to Wibu Systems. Other leading automation companies, such as Siemens, are also utilizing it...

ABOUT WIBU-SYSTEMS

diat150 said:
Whats the true purpose of this?...From what I have seen it is supposed to protect IP for both the end user and Rockwell. Is a webserver typically used to protect IP?...

For the sake of novices, EtherNet/IP junkies, sleepy-eyed folks, or simple dislikers of ambiguous acronyms - "IP", I assume, stands for "Intellectual Property" here?

Its "true" purpose is to provide License Based Source Protection...

704748 - Studio 5000 use of CodeMeter Runtime
Access Level: Everyone

diat150 said:
...Has anyone looked into what kind of info this software is collecting and broadcasting?

What has made you think it is doing that - perhaps the word "Meter"?

Regards,
George

What has made you think it is doing that - perhaps the word "Meter"?

Not really, there's plenty of examples where reputable companies send all sorts of info without requesting it back to their mothership. Assuming automation companies don't is simply too naïve and understanding what it actually does is nice to know.