Siemens Midimaster Vector Software

Suparoo

Hi All,

Is anyone able to shed any light on my PC to MDV connection issue please?

Ive inherited an MDV (6SE3221-7DG50 V2.05) and am trying to use Drive Monitor V5.5 SP2 to write the params to the drive.

Uploading the param set to DM is successful but I am unable to write to the drive and opening the saved uploaded file gives an error message to the effect of 'database version 000 does not exist'.

I am using a 'poor mans' 232/485 converter cable (if you can call it that) but Im reluctant to point the finger at this because of the error message above.
Cabling/converter recommendations are welcomed.

Any insight will be gratefully received.

TIA

I’m curious if anything uploaded. Drive Monitor creates a file with a .dnl extension
Can you open the dnl file with notepad? Are the parameters and values in the parameters there

Yes, all parameters are there when opened with notepad.

Connection on another MDV, also V2.05 (P922) did not connect at all with the error message 'database 000 does not exist' at first, but now connects and uploads as before.
Download is still not possible or not possible without errors.

The Field PG running DM is a completely fresh installation of everything including OS. These 'random' events occur on a second Field PG tried as well.
I cant see a pattern so a suitable converter will be sought to rule out data corruption.

When you go online-
Can you write to one parameter?
Pick something easy, parameter P2
accel
Can you change that value?

I haven’t connected to those drives in years.
When I did, I carried around a CB15 and used profibus.
It’s interesting because you can upload but not download

For a test, have you tried different firmware in drive monitor just for the download

Last edited:
If that drive dies, it would have to be converted to something else anyway. I converted Micromaster 3 drives to Micromaster 4, but now Sinamics G series are the latest ones to use.

To get the newest parameters in the dnl parameter file, you could make the changes in the drive and upload. At least you would have the latest parameters in the file, even though you can't download. I would have suggested an older version of Drivemonitor, but I can't locate where to grab one.

Individual parameter changes cause an unsuccessful coms error message and trying to connect with any earlier firmware versions invoke an F255 (Watchdog Trip) on the unit I have on the bench.

I need an easy and reliable 'point and squirt' solution so I will source a CB15 and see how that performs as I cant find any reference to a Siemens issue 232/485 cable

I agree with updating, there are several of these old drives in service and several spares in the store so its a battle I will choose my moment to fight.
I may have older versions of DM somewhere so its worth a try