You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old January 9th, 2020, 11:40 AM   #1
ceilingwalker
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

FMS software

Hello, is anyone here familiar with a software called FMS? I searched online but couldn't find anything that made sense. It is connected to an Omron CH200X PLC as an OI. It is pretty old stuff.....running on Windows XP SP3.
Old January 9th, 2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Bullzi
United States

I have seen "FMS" used in the Oil and Gas industry. What service is this in?
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:04 PM   #3
parky
United Kingdom

Maybe this is it
http://www.amada.co.uk/software/details/11/fms-series
Old January 10th, 2020, 08:08 AM   #4
ceilingwalker
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
Nah, what I have is wayyyyyy more ancient than this. Lol
Old January 10th, 2020, 08:10 AM   #5
ceilingwalker
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzi View Post
I have seen "FMS" used in the Oil and Gas industry. What service is this in?
It is an interface for a Hitachi Seiki rail guided vehicle, for loading tombstones onto machine tool centers. It is nothing more than an executable that is used as an OI for the CH200X.
Old January 10th, 2020, 08:37 AM   #6
parky
United Kingdom

FMS usually stands for Flexible Manufacturing System so it could just be someone has written an application to interface with the Omron. I have come across this type of thing before and the name is often just a name given at that time. It sounds to me that it may well be one of these and is not a standard product, I came across a board with a 8080 microprocessor talking to digital I/O on a Square D PLC and 232 communication to a robot. turned out to be a one-off parallel data to 232 converter. some guy had written an application on the micro board as an interface. however, we could find no trace of the guy who supplied the unit.
Old January 14th, 2020, 12:39 PM   #7
ceilingwalker
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
FMS usually stands for Flexible Manufacturing System so it could just be someone has written an application to interface with the Omron. I have come across this type of thing before and the name is often just a name given at that time. It sounds to me that it may well be one of these and is not a standard product, I came across a board with a 8080 microprocessor talking to digital I/O on a Square D PLC and 232 communication to a robot. turned out to be a one-off parallel data to 232 converter. some guy had written an application on the micro board as an interface. however, we could find no trace of the guy who supplied the unit.
In a nutshell, I am over a barrel, right? Lol
Old January 15th, 2020, 05:05 AM   #8
parky
United Kingdom

It sure sounds like this could be your situation. I have come across a number of interfaces written as a one-off, sometimes if it is a bespoke application on a pc then it is possible that a copy of the code is on the pc. I have found this to be the case in a number of occasions. I.E. "C", "Pascal" or "Basic" installed to commission the system or source files for reference. you may be lucky but it will depend on what you intend to do i.e. upgrade or just port it to updated hardware.
Old January 21st, 2020, 12:05 PM   #9
mbartoli
United States

First Monkey Syndrome? That's what the folks around here call my software for our Facilities Monitoring System!

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Old April 14th, 2020, 02:43 AM   #10
Horhes
United States

I definitely heard about FMS, even related to XP, but that was in the context of the Fast Mail Service and this is hardly what you are talking about.
Old April 14th, 2020, 02:51 AM   #11
collinsd70
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingwalker View Post
Hello, is anyone here familiar with a software called FMS? I searched online but couldn't find anything that made sense. It is connected to an Omron CH200X PLC as an OI. It is pretty old stuff.....running on Windows XP SP3.
What industry are you referring to?

In terms of Pharmaceutical- FMS can stand for "Facility Monitoring System", this is used to measure the quality of air in the graded areas (particle counts PPM).

Regards

Daniel
Old April 14th, 2020, 10:24 AM   #12
jraef
United States

Given that the application is basically a CNC machine tool, FMS in that context is a somewhat generic term for Flexible Manufacturing Systems. This company actually uses it in their product name, but if you search on the term itself, there are lots of products that use that term genetically for CNC machining cell software systems.
https://intelitek.com/adv-foundation...ng-system-fms/
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum