X-Proof Control Panel

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Any body here build X-proof control panels? I have a customer that needs one for a Class 1 Div 1 environment.

We are not certified to do this and I can imagine that it might not just be simple to get certified.

I had a project with he same class and Div here a while back.

The explosion proof panel alone was a massive price tag. I ended up building a standard cabinet and installed it in another area. It was cheaper by far to use approved methods of entering the room with conduit than it was to build an explosion proof cabinet. Not practical everywhere, but after investigating the requirements to build the panel suitable for the area, it had to be done this way or the project want going to happen.

I have built several in the past. Be ready to immerse yourselves in all applicable codes for your area.
Also the cost of the certification was very substantial. That was for Canada... your area may be different.

I have built several in the past. Be ready to immerse yourselves in all applicable codes for your area.
Also the cost of the certification was very substantial. That was for Canada... your area may be different.

Any one have experience with X-proof panels in USA? Or maybe that will be down the very local regulations of where this panel will be installed??

Only vaguely, UL-1203, NFPA 496 and ANSI/ISA 12.12.01 I believe are the applicable standards.

Our panel builder won't touch em, We install everything outside the area.

Any body here build X-proof control panels? I have a customer that needs one for a Class 1 Div 1 environment.

We are not certified to do this and I can imagine that it might not just be simple to get certified.

Id move the panel, if possible, to a class 1 div 2 area. You would just need to make sure all components are class 1 div 2 rated.

Another option may be to use a purge system in the panel.

I have done them in the past. I haven’t kept the UL certification for labeling Class 1 Div 1 enclosures. The cost for the certification was expensive and only did a few a year. It was hard to recoup the cost. Does the panel need to be UL listed? You can send me the specs and I will take a look.

we have built class 1, 2 panels before.

the main control panel can be in a non hazardous location using a standard enclosure. use rigid conduit, sealoffs, and intrinsic barriers to the classified environment. operator control panels can be nema 4 / 4x and must be purged / pressurized using approved devices.

look at nec70, 70e, nfpa 496 (purging / pressurization of industrial control panels)and nfpa ??? electrical standard for industrial machinery.

we did have a pe look at our design and approve it.
james

Done it many times, as said, the enclosures are MEGA expensive, very heavy, and mounting anything in the cover requires that the enclosure mfr know in advance so they can drill / tap holes. Then if you need anything that requires viewing,you have VERY expensive Ex. Proof windows to have installed. Lastly, heat produced by components inside can be a huge issue. That's why a lot of people say it's usually cheaper / easier to put it in a non-classified area. I can't even count how many times I have gone through the exercise and the end user hears the price, so they come to that conclusion anyway.

The last time someone asked me for that, I priced up a regular control panel, then just added $50k to do it in Ex. Proof. They decided to move it, so I didn't duplicate my efforts.

Purged systems are not cheap either and require specific listing capabilities.