Waterproof Ethernet cables

KirkC

If you run into the ugly problem of terminating waterproof underground-grade ethernet cable, with all that gel spewing out of it, you can spray the stripped end with WD-40, the miracle solvent, and wipe the gel off with a towel. Squeeze the gel out of the last inch first. The push-through RJ-45 connectors work better than the normal ones for this application.

Excellent tip !

I'm curious about what kind of environment you're putting this cable into.

Is it in conduit that will potentially fill with water, or is it outdoors exposed to rain/snow, or is it directly buried in earth ?

Is there a specific reason you chose gel-flooded instead of waterproof tape ? I don't know much about either one and it would be neat to get some direct user information.

Don't know, Ken.

The water-proof ethernet cable has been a given, not something I specified. Technically, I think you're are supposed to use fiber or isolators between sites with distint grounds. That may be the problem.

You still want to elimate a goo-drended connection to be the source of the problem.