CRT in a Panelview 1400E

Vetteboy

Just wondering if anyone is a master crt guy who can help me fix the crt part of a panelview 1400E. The screen is going dim on a unit that is only 3 years old. Also the shape of the image is shifting from square to slightly squeezed in the middle. We have made a few adjustments and they seemed to work for a few weeks. Recently the screen has gone completely black, but the tube is on and still glowing in the back of the unit. The company that handles Allen Bradley up here said there is nothing that can be done to fix it and that I need to spend $9000 to replace the entire unit. Is there anyone out there that can help me revive this thing's crt considering at most that part of it is worth about $150. I'm going to possibly give it to an electronics shop before I cave and buy a new one, or set up a more reasonable HMI.

Thanks,
Vetteboy

The screen is completely black? Even when viewed in a darkened room? If so, you probably have a failure in the ULTRA CHEAP (read ULTRA CHEAP, as in design, not as in inexpensive) High-voltage circuit / flyback transformer. A good CRT tech could probably fix it, but it's a tough thing to do without having a circuit diagram.

I have no idea of the internals of a 1400E, but most likely, there are at least two main parts... The computer / video generator, and the CRT Display system. If you don't mind poking around (and it's dead anyhow), maybe, just maybe, you can find the actual video signal (most likely about 1V peak-to-peak), and just connect it to an external monitor that supports video in.

Could be something fun to try in spare time (which none of us really have :( )

I've had several of these die the same death, a local industrial electronics shop repairs them for about $750.00 USD, more than $150, but a lot less than $9000. We usually have the key pad covers replaced at the same time, and this increases the cost.

Don't know your location, but I can provide a link to the repair shop I use if you need it, they are located in North Carolina, USA.

Ken

I too have had quite a few of these either give up the ghost completely or the screen begins to shrink.In one case i fitted a brand new one out of the box only to have to change it again after 2 days!.(The next one lasted 2 weeks..d'oh) It seems that A-B we're having trouble with the suppliers of the crt tubes. 3 years seems about the right lifespan for 1400e's in an industrial enviroment.

In most of my cases, A-B have repaired them and sent them back.

As Ken suggests though, maybe a local firm could help you out.

Bolty

Vetteboy,

I haven't looked at a Panelview closely since working with some PV 550's years ago. I remember that the 550's had one bright light source in the back, that transmitted through a fiber optic bundle that spread the light out through the filter/input image- forming screen. If the fiber optic bundle got broken or disconnected (or the lamp burned out), then the screen went black since there was no light source. I have fixed some by simply pushing the fiber connector back into place.

Lancie1 said:
Vetteboy,

I haven't looked at a Panelview closely since working with some PV 550's years ago. I remember that the 550's had one bright light source in the back, that transmitted through a fiber optic bundle that spread the light out through the filter/input image- forming screen. If the fiber optic bundle got broken or disconnected (or the lamp burned out), then the screen went black since there was no light source. I have fixed some by simply pushing the fiber connector back into place.

The 1400e uses a traditional CRT tube. Its a big monster weighing close to 50lbs if I remember correctly and its awfully deep sometimes requiring custom enclosures. I know we had to reinforce the panel door on occasion to hold it.

AB doesn't recommend to for new installations and sells a migration kit to fit a PV1000 in its place when replacing in a existing installation.

Follow up.....

Thanks for the advice. I took it to a local TV and home electronics shop and the tech replaced a couple of capacitors for $12 in parts and $350 in labour. By far the cheapest option. He made some extra cash and we saved thousands.