I am in love with structured text

I totally agree. Once they see you go online and fix a problem, that becomes the go-to solution for that machine and the maintenance mechanics start throwing up their hands and calling you because there's "something wrong with the program."
Well that's a big reason I deliberately go to some problems with nothing but the operators manual, which has some flowcharts, and check the machine (hmi) which step it is in...
and stay polite.. =D even if you want to take it in their face..

Well that's a big reason I deliberately go to some problems with nothing but the operators manual, which has some flowcharts, and check the machine (hmi) which step it is in...
and stay polite.. =D even if you want to take it in their face..

Agreed, that is the best solution. Don't even get out the laptop until you've disproved everything else.

Downside is that the PLC code IS the documentation for half the systems I see :(

Agreed, that is the best solution. Don't even get out the laptop until you've disproved everything else.

Downside is that the PLC code IS the documentation for half the systems I see :(

That's what I've run into as well. Especially older, small machines with complicated motions and no HMI. Eventually, though, you get enough experience to where you can start ruling out the chronic problem areas first.

I had this double-piston meat pump (for mechanically-separated turkey) with a mixture of hydraulic and electrical control that ran a SLC 5/03 and would constantly be breaking down. Eventually I figured out that the outlet valve (the one that flips back and forth between one side or the other) is really what drives the whole thing, and that 90% of the time, the problem was with one of the proxes on it.

Before you break out the laptop, you should do a cursory I/O checkout on the machine. Check proxes, photoeyes, valves, etc. If it was working and now it isn't, something changed, and there's a 99% chance that what changed is outside the control panel.

I did a trip of 5 days to open a manual valve in front of a solenoid, and they blamed the software for it. (out in colombia).

Spot on

Structured Text is a very powerful and useful language as is other PLC languages such as SFC. But it can also become your worst enemy.

It is easy to lose sight of an important aspect that a PLC can be good at.... that is the ease of troubleshooting and maintenance. Writing everything in structured text can become a nightmare to maintain and for others to work with.

For example. let's say "bubba", needed to know why his valve would not come on. He goes online and finds this:
Code:
Valve:=(SW1 AND LS1) OR ((LS2 and SW1) OR LS3);
Most likely he would just turn off the computer and brute force the troubleshooting or go find and engineer.

Now let's say he finds this:
Code:
     SW1     LS1                                            Valve
--+--][-------][---------------------------------------------()--
  |                |
  | LS2      SW1   |
  +-][-------][----+
  |                |
  | LS3            |
  +-][-------------+

Within seconds he will be able to easily locate the problem.

The language choice also applies the other way around. Let's say you need to search through some FIFOs to see if a certain item exists. In ladder this would be a nightmare. Bubba would never figure it out, worst yet the original programmer would struggle with it. But then write it in ST and turn it into a function block with a good descriptive name and inputs/outpus,then there will be no need to try to figure out the code because it will be encapsulated in an easy to figure out function block.

A good programmer is not one that just gets something to work, nor does it the fastest. A program written by a good programmer will not only work properly, but will also be easy to maintain by the next person who uses it.

So my point is, having and using the tools properly makes a good programmer. But losing sight of the big picture and abusing the tools, can make a not so good programmer.

+1

You should always try to program yourself out of a job, so the end user can support it themselves. In that end, they will call you back for more.

me apologies

As a part time comedian, I should not have any buttons anymore.

I got but hurt and lashed out.

I would have deleted the entire thread if I could have.

That being said, I learned some stuff on this thread.