1784 PCMK card AB for virtual machine virtualbox

Сергей

Hello everyone! I have a problem connecting to plc5. I have an old 1784 PCMK card and a new industrial laptop with a PCMK card slot. The laptop has windows 10, and I also installed a virtualbox virtual machine with an XP image. How to attach a PCMK slot to an XP image in a virtual machine?

A new industrial laptop with a PCMCIA slot ? Does such a thing exist ?

I have doubts that Windows 10 supports PCMCIA.
Virtualbox dont support PCMCIA directly at all.

If your laptop really has a PCMCIA slot, I suggest that you dual-boot it to Windows 7 32-bit. edit: Or to XP if that suits you better.

Last edited:
There is indeed a PCMIA 2 slot. In the device manager, the card is displayed, only the driver is not installed. RSlogix 5 does not work on windows 7. I just do not want to demolish windows 10, change the settings in the BIOS and install XP.

Virtualbox simply has no support for PCMCIA cards. So there is no way for the PCMK card to get passed on from the host to the VM.
If you have a dual-boot, you can keep your windows 10. But ....
The next problem may be that your PC may be too new for Windows XP. It may be a problem to find XP drivers that will work with the new PC hardware.

For what it's worth, I'm running RSLogix 5 on a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 10 machine with no issues. AB says that it is not supported, but it has worked for me without any issues or special setups.

An option for programming PLC5 via RSlogix 5 in a VM could be to go via serial/DF1.
It requires that the PLC5 is the "enhanced" version since "classic" do not have the serial port.
It also requires that the serial port (CH0) is setup for DF1. If there is an operator panel connected to CH0 you may have to disconnect the operator panel while you do your programming.
CH0 may be setup for RS232, RS422 or RS485. If setup for RS422 or RS485 you may have to have a converter for your PC.

DF1 at 19200 or 38400 baud is not bad at all.

For what it's worth, I'm running RSLogix 5 on a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 10 machine with no issues. AB says that it is not supported, but it has worked for me without any issues or special setups.
It is the PCMK card that is the problem. I think PCMK B is supported up to Win 7 32 bit.

What version is your RSLogix 5 ?

Before you actually do install Windows 7, can someone confirm that the PCMK card works with that ?
It has been like 15 years since I programmed PLC5, so I may be a little rusty.

That is pretty ancient. I think you need at least v.7 for Windows 7 support.
I am guessing you are not prepared to buy an upgrade for RSLogix

Consider my previous suggestion re running in a VM and going online via DF1.

I also think that my previous suggestion re running XP as dual boot is hopeless, since getting drivers for new PC hardware that can run under XP is difficult.

That is pretty ancient. I think you need at least v.7 for Windows 7 support.
I am guessing you are not prepared to buy an upgrade for RSLogix

Consider my previous suggestion re running in a VM and going online via DF1.

I also think that my previous suggestion re running XP as dual boot is hopeless, since getting drivers for new PC hardware that can run under XP is difficult.

The DB 25 RS 232C adapter is now problematic, now I'm on a watch in Siberia. Found the English and Russian assembly of Windows XP SP3 for modern computers. The truth is its own nuances on the installation.

Yes, that version of RSLogix 5 is very old. I only can go back and find verion 4.1 here which came out June 2000. So your version was probably 1-2 years earlier. Which means it was designed to run on Windows 95. Not at all unusual that it would not run on a modern operating system like Windows 7 or Windows 10.

As suggested, you should use your VM with a serial connection. The PCMCIA cards are not supported by any virtualization package I am aware of. The newest driver Rockwell had was for Windows 2000/XP. I remember using that driver in Windows 7 without any issue. But I never got my PCMK to work in Windows 10. Remember it was designed initially for DOS. Sometimes it would work, but once I disconnected it would stop working. I had to uninstall the Windows driver and reinstall to be able to reconnect.

Or find an old laptop and install Windows 95. Windows 7 32-bit requires RSLogix version 8. Windows XP SP3 requires RSLogix 5 version 7.

OG

Last edited:
Yes, that version of RSLogix 5 is very old. I only can go back and find verion 4.1 here which came out June 2000. So your version was probably 1-2 years earlier. Which means it was designed to run on Windows 95. Not at all unusual that it would not run on a modern operating system like Windows 7 or Windows 10.

As suggested, you should use your VM with a serial connection. The PCMCIA cards are not supported by any virtualization package I am aware of. The newest driver Rockwell had was for Windows 2000/XP. I remember using that driver in Windows 7 without any issue. But I never got my PCMK to work in Windows 10. Remember it was designed initially for DOS. Sometimes it would work, but once I disconnected it would stop working. I had to uninstall the Windows driver and reinstall to be able to reconnect.

Or find an old laptop and install Windows 95. Windows 7 32-bit requires RSLogix version 8. Windows XP SP3 requires RSLogix 5 version 7.

OG
Thanks for the advice. My RSlogix 5 v3 worked on an old laptop on windows XP, which unfortunately broke. I will try to install windows XP on a new laptop.

Some people had issues with XP Service Pack 3. If you can get Service Pack 2 you might be better off.

When RA tells us that certain versions are required, they are usually very conservative. I seem to recall using RSLogix 5 version 5 or 6 in Windows 7. Even though it wasn't officially supported until version 8.

The same was true for XP. Usually if it ran in Windows 95/98 it would run in XP also even if it wasn't officially supported.

Удачи

OG