You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 11th, 2002, 12:18 PM   #1
ndzied1
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Question Converting PNP output for device Expecting NPN output

The subject question says it all.

I have a device with sinking NPN inputs and all my PLC outputs are set up to source current (PNP) with 24VDC on the common.

I have a device from OMRON to convert NPN to PNP (which i need for the other part of the interface) but it doesn't seem to work the other way around (OMRON PN EE-2002).

I can probably put a relay in to tie the device input to ground when the PLC output comes on but wondering about other methods?....

Help appreciated.
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of one's contributions to computer science." Donald Knuth
Old December 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #2
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I recently posted a couple of bitmaps that should show you how to do it with a resistor for each connection. Remember that when you wire them this way, its like replacing a NO contact with a NC.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...&threadid=1615

The technique is fine for for one or two isolated connections, but it can be rather labor-intensive. If you have quite a few cross connections, it would be a lot easier to buy the correct flavor input module.
Old December 11th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #3
ndzied1
United States

Thanks,

Yes, this is just one input and one output. The device I have handles the PLC Input side but not the output.

However, the whole issue is moot now as after I came back from lunck, the PNP flavor of the field device was sitting there on our receiving table. The rep originally said it would take 2 weeks to get (after our ship date) but he'd try to expedite it. I guess it worked 'cuz it's here now.

I'll keep your bitmaps handy for reference though... great info

Thanks again!
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of one's contributions to computer science." Donald Knuth
Old December 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #4
ndzied1
United States

Quote:
However, the whole issue is moot now as after I came back from lunck, the PNP flavor of the field device was sitting there on our receiving table.
NOT banghead

They sent another NPN device!!!! ARGH!

But.... the resistor worked great .... once I figured out the function of my PLC output is now inverted.

Thanks ALL
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum