AutoCadE question - inserting cabinet in border template

Timeismoney08

Hello,

I'm new to AutoCAD and had some questions.

If I make a border at roughly 8"x11" or something like that... How do I insert something that is much bigger in the border, but still keep the scaling?

I need to do a panel layout and I can do the border and line drawings, but I was just a little confused with how I add the backplane and controls to show the layout.

Thanks for any help!

I think your question is better on Autocad's forum, not this plc forum.

But if I understand your inquiry, you can highlight your object and type "scale" to change the size bigger or smaller.

If you want to keep the scale of the components 1:1 then you would leave those as is. If said components dont fit in your border then you would scale the border to fit around all your components. When you plot the drawing, the plot is looking for the border. It will plot whatever is within that border to your selected paper size. Obviously there is more to this but should put you on the right track. When plotting, plot "extents".

I think your question is better on Autocad's forum, not this plc forum.

But if I understand your inquiry, you can highlight your object and type "scale" to change the size bigger or smaller.

Thanks. I just figured most Controls Engineers on here would be using AutoCAD Electrical. That's why I asked. It's control cabinets for a PLC.

If you want to keep the scale of the components 1:1 then you would leave those as is. If said components dont fit in your border then you would scale the border to fit around all your components. When you plot the drawing, the plot is looking for the border. It will plot whatever is within that border to your selected paper size. Obviously there is more to this but should put you on the right track. When plotting, plot "extents".

Thanks. I'm still new to AutoCAD Electrical and was thinking the border had to be the same size as the paper it is to be plotted on.

So I should make a drawing with the backplane first, add everything in it, and then add the border (Finding the right scale).

Thank you for the help!

I do my panel layouts in model space and everything is drawn actual size. Then on the layout page I will insert the template for our company. I will then insert a viewport in that template and snap it to the corners of the inside of the border of the template. Then I will set the scaling of that viewport to a suitable ratio and pan the viewport to the location of the model I want to display. Then when I print the layout I choose 1 to 1 ratio so that my scaling is maintained on paper. This is the abbreviated instructions. There are probably some details that can trip you up that I'm not thinking of right now

I do my panel layouts in model space and everything is drawn actual size. Then on the layout page I will insert the template for our company. I will then insert a viewport in that template and snap it to the corners of the inside of the border of the template. Then I will set the scaling of that viewport to a suitable ratio and pan the viewport to the location of the model I want to display. Then when I print the layout I choose 1 to 1 ratio so that my scaling is maintained on paper. This is the abbreviated instructions. There are probably some details that can trip you up that I'm not thinking of right now

That is very helpful, thank you.

I will figure out how to make a view port tonight.

If you can think of any other tricks that someone inexperienced with AutocadE needs to know, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Hi,

As ACADE is an intelligent, database driven package, the borders are quite key to your project. There are a few different ways to approach border creation (ACADE has a couple of methods) but essentially if you want the borders to be intelligent (i.e. page number referencing, location update, 'next/last' page features etc) it is better to use one of these methods. If you intend to use component cross-referencing, the border is quite key to your project, as each component needs to be known with relation to the border dimensions.
The scaling isn't an issue. When you ADD a new sheet to your project, you point it to your (intelligent) template file, then you can scale as necessary. I found it useful to experiment with different size borders to allow the standard symbols to look proportional (offset with how much you want to show per sheet). The GA sheets will just be scaled to 1:1 to fit whatever cabinet size you are detailing.
I did a quick guide for myself several years ago (it's for ACADE 2012, but the basics will hopefully still apply). See attached PDF.

Hope this helps.

Rob

I am now retired, so do not use it anymore, however, I created a border in A3 originally in another cad system (Unix). When we changed over to Autocad, we converted the border & when we did panel drawings we scaled it up and that way we could design panel layouts using full size parts, this way you can get all components laid out as it would be in the panel, printing just scaled it to the paper size. Many times I have seen people draw panel layouts that did not fit the panel. We also created standard symbols for components at actual size this made panel layout easy.

Hi,

As ACADE is an intelligent, database driven package, the borders are quite key to your project. There are a few different ways to approach border creation (ACADE has a couple of methods) but essentially if you want the borders to be intelligent (i.e. page number referencing, location update, 'next/last' page features etc) it is better to use one of these methods. If you intend to use component cross-referencing, the border is quite key to your project, as each component needs to be known with relation to the border dimensions.
The scaling isn't an issue. When you ADD a new sheet to your project, you point it to your (intelligent) template file, then you can scale as necessary. I found it useful to experiment with different size borders to allow the standard symbols to look proportional (offset with how much you want to show per sheet). The GA sheets will just be scaled to 1:1 to fit whatever cabinet size you are detailing.
I did a quick guide for myself several years ago (it's for ACADE 2012, but the basics will hopefully still apply). See attached PDF.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Wow, this is more than I could have asked for. Thank you!