Version compatibility

EmmanuelM

Hello guys.

Could you help me with a doubt, now I have installed the Studio 5000 Version 30.00.00 and I need to read a PLC with the firmware version 30.14.

My question is the version that I already have is able to read this PLC or do I need to update to the V 31 of Studio 5000.

Thanks

In almost every case, minor revisions are not an issue, your version is compatible with that firmware revision. There is a lot more I could post about this subject but that might add confusion.

30.00.00 is the software rev, 30.14 is a firmware rev. You have v30, the firmware is v30, you are all set.

What needs to match is the major version number. You have 30, the firmware is 30, so it will connect.

You might want to upgrade to a newer revision of v30 to take advantage of any bug fixes, but as long as the major versions match you'll be able to go online.

Minor version difference doesn't matter (excepting a snafu with versions 20 & 21 that isn't relevant here).

What needs to match is the major version number. You have 30, the firmware is 30, so it will connect.

You might want to upgrade to a newer revision of v30 to take advantage of any bug fixes, but as long as the major versions match you'll be able to go online.

Minor version difference doesn't matter (excepting a snafu with versions 20 & 21 that isn't relevant here).

Have you seen the bugs that keep coming our for v31 and newer? If my v30 was functioning, there is absolutely no way I'd upgrade it

Thanks for your great support.

Rockwell does things a little different than most, nay, all software vendors. What you are used to regarding backwards compatibility doesn't exist for Rockwell. Instead, you can install multiple major revisions of the software on the same machine, they'll all "happily" coexist together. So you would want to install each major revision of software for each major revision of firmware you need to support. If a vendor sends you a machine that has firmware v33, for example, you would install v33 of software.