Micrologix Update Program without overwriting Memory Values

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
In the Allen Bradley alternate reality program logic and program data are linked together. Is it possible to update a Micro Logix program with out overwriting the memory values in the PLC? I have multiple machines that are identical except for set points and because of this weird Allen Bradley-ism it takes forever to make changes to multiple PLCs and it is very prone to user error.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! This nonsense it driving me insane. Also I have been awake for 31 hours so that is not helping with the sanity.

Are you wanting to make changes offline and then download? What processor are you using? I am pretty sure that most of the ML processors will do online editing except the 1000.

Last edited:
If you only have a few data tables over the standard then try this:

For each machine

Open the modified offline program
In another window open the particular machine's online program
For each data table you wish to save right click on the data table in the online program and choose copy
The in the offline program right click on the same data table and choose paste.
Continue with all the data tables.

Finally close the online window then download your modified offline program.

Repeat for all machines.

It's still a bit of work.

You are of course correct that A-B controllers generally consider the offline data value set to be part of the download, and do not support the marking of specific tags, memory sections, or data table registers to be maintained/nonvolatile.

While it's not automatic or error-proof, a common method of retaining runtime values through a new program download is to use the Tag Upload/Download Tool. It works with PLC/SLC/MicroLogix as well as ControlLogix.

The tool does use OPC to connect to controllers, so you need one of the licensed versions of RSLinx Classic to use it (not RSLinx Lite).

That tool is a customary install along with Studio 5000, and can be downloaded as one of the set of Studio 5000 Tools.

There is a temptingly-named "RSLogix 5000 Data Preserve Download Tool", but that's obsolete and I wouldn't try to use it. You want the boring-named "Tag Upload Download Tool".

Are you wanting to make changes offline and then download? What processor are you using? I am pretty sure that most of the ML processors will do online editing except the 1000.

Yes and 1400.

I would like to make changes off line, or even online on one of my PLCs then do a download on the remaining PLCs but not over write the memory values.

a common method of retaining runtime values through a new program download is to use the Tag Upload/Download Tool. It works with PLC/SLC/MicroLogix as well as ControlLogix.
Learned something new today. I thought that only worked with the Compact and Control Logix processors. Cool!!

I have not used Ken's recommendation before so that maybe the best option but why not just 'upload' and 'use file' before you make edits, then just download to the PLC? If you have a file "my 1400" and when you walk up to the machine before making changes just upload the program and use the file "my 1400" this will upload all the current data from the PLC then you can make the changes and download the data back to the PLC... am I wrong ? I thought I use to do this back in the day.

Edit: alan_505 I think you left out a 1 :)

Yes, I would get a current copy of the online machine, but i use tools>database>acsii export from the original file and create a file for each plc. i would strongly recommend that you give each processor its own name also to flash a mismatch warning for an extra level of protection to make sure the memory values are correct for each machine.

Yes, I would get a current copy of the online machine, but i use tools>database>acsii export from the original file and create a file for each plc. i would strongly recommend that you give each processor its own name also to flash a mismatch warning for an extra level of protection to make sure the memory values are correct for each machine.
Thanks different names is a good idea.

You are of course correct that A-B controllers generally consider the offline data value set to be part of the download, and do not support the marking of specific tags, memory sections, or data table registers to be maintained/nonvolatile.

While it's not automatic or error-proof, a common method of retaining runtime values through a new program download is to use the Tag Upload/Download Tool. It works with PLC/SLC/MicroLogix as well as ControlLogix.

The tool does use OPC to connect to controllers, so you need one of the licensed versions of RSLinx Classic to use it (not RSLinx Lite).

That tool is a customary install along with Studio 5000, and can be downloaded as one of the set of Studio 5000 Tools.

There is a temptingly-named "RSLogix 5000 Data Preserve Download Tool", but that's obsolete and I wouldn't try to use it. You want the boring-named "Tag Upload Download Tool".

Ok I am having issues. I have Tag Upload Download Tool installed.I am trying this on my local Test PLC before trying it remotely with PLCs in the Field.

I created a topic for the ML 1400 in RSLinx Classic. Then I opened Tag Upload Download and selected the Topic then hit Browse Online Tags. I get a Error380 Invalid Property Value.

I also tried using the a Ethernet Driver and a Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx.

See screen shots.

2020-08-06 13-29-02 CL-CTRLS-VM-ROC.png 2020-08-06 13-29-13 CL-CTRLS-VM-ROC.png 2020-08-06 13-41-18 CL-CTRLS-VM-ROC.png

Last edited:
In the second picture you have a SLC 503 selected. Is that the processor you are connected too?

That error seems pretty common, and is the first result when you search in TechConnect (Answer ID #BF19596).

Double-check the OPC Topic path, try running the utility as Administrator to bypass User Account control, and try the "delete Harmony files" fix on RSLinx.

I don't know if there are issues with adding dashes into OPC Topic Names. Your configuration looks correct. Maybe try the OPC Test Client as well, to be sure the OPC Topic configuration is workable.

Last edited:
In the second picture you have a SLC 503 selected. Is that the processor you are connected too?

My PLC is a ML 1400, but there is no MicroLogix specific option to select.

That error seems pretty common, and is the first result when you search in TechConnect (Answer ID #BF19596).

Double-check the OPC Topic path, try running the utility as Administrator to bypass User Account control, and try the "delete Harmony files" fix on RSLinx.

I don't know if there are issues with adding dashes into OPC Topic Names. Your configuration looks correct. Maybe try the OPC Test Client as well, to be sure the OPC Topic configuration is workable.
hmm I will give it a go.

Just got back from a install so I haven't been able to work on this.