VMWare Player vs VMWare Workstation

S5 VM, Step5 and Virtual Mashine

With Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can download Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode. I'm using it for 10 year old version of GE Fanuc VersaPro without problem. Price is right - free.

Same here, I have installed Step5 v.7.23 yesterday and today to Windows Virtual PC to HP's 64 bit LapTop.
Installation took only 14 ours and it works in theory. Reason was my limited knowledge of virtual world, but no, it's better, even pro.

I've ordered USB->TTY/D15 cable from Germany for S5 cpu's connection. When I get it, I'll tell you.
Step7 pro 5.5 SR2 and WinCC Flex 2008 SP3 work in 64 bit OS.

:unsure:

Thought I’d stir some ****.
We love harping on about doing the right thing and not violating license agreements and by passing passwords etc. because some of us are really too goody two shoes, yet here we are openly discussing the use of a "free for non commercial use" software (VMWare Player that is) being used in (what I read between the lines) as a commercial environment?
I love hacking software and passwords and filling up my machine with dodgy software, but I thought I’d pull the moral card out today just to be a nuisance.
All the best.

OK, Fusion is for Mac. What about Windows? I know Player comes with Workstation, but if you bought workstation, you don't need player.

Yeah, it isnt exactly logical, but this is from WMwares website:
VMware Fusion 5 Professional

Designed with unique capabilities for advanced users and professionals who need to run Windows programs on their Macs.

Compatibility with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and 200+ operating systems
Open the door to Macs and continue using your existing Windows management tools
Create restricted Virtual Machines and reduce your support costs
Easily deploy virtual machines across Macs and PCs
Manage your volume licenses and support entitlements with ease
Create your own lab or demo environment with the new Network Editor
Run restricted Virtual Machines on Windows, Linux or Mac with the included commercial license of VMware Player 5

It seems they are hell-bent on NOT selling the VMware Player. Maybe it is too good and too lowcost.

You are right that you don't need Player if you have Workstation, but Fusion Professional cost much less than Workstation.

OK, Fusion is for Mac. What about Windows? I know Player comes with Workstation, but if you bought workstation, you don't need player.

Fusion also licenses the "commercial" version of VMWare Player. It's not exactly clear but this is the case. I had a conversation with VMWare on this very topic, the explanation I received on this topic was (and I'm paraphrasing from memory):

Enterprise customers required a virtualization solution, Workstation was a bit much for some customers, however Player fit the bill nicely. Enterprise customers also want SUPPORT of some type. To fit that market Player is no longer "free" in the commercial field (as to meet the "support" requirement). This was also bundled with Fusion so it provided a single license type regardless of hardware platform. So an Enterprise customer my have all Windows PCs, may have all Apple PCs or a mix of each. Merging the license types negates any requirement for the enterprise customer to track how many Fusion licenses are required for the users of Apple PC's, or how many Player licenses are required for the users of Windows based PCs. They can purchase a volume license and apply it to any hardware platform the customer so chooses.

Made pretty good sense after I heard it.

Same here, I have installed Step5 v.7.23 yesterday and today to Windows Virtual PC to HP's 64 bit LapTop.
I've ordered USB->TTY/D15 cable from Germany for S5 cpu's connection. When I get it, I'll tell you. ( I have got it!)

Here is the link for PG-USB thing:
http://www.process-informatik.de/produkte/pg-usb&lang=en_

Works fine in 64 bit W7-Pro laptop's XP-Virtual Machine (and also in XP-Pro 32 bit laptop).
In Virtual world, 1'st USB must select from USB-List when Cable is connected.
Then after, run Step5.

usb selction fst.jpg