Wago 750 series as AB remote I/O

dginbuffalo

Hello all. I am doing my 1st project using an AB Compactlogix and Wago remote I/O across Ethernet I/P. It seems you can either "roll your own" programming for the analog modules (since 1 channel comes across 2 bytes) or use Wago's Add On Instructions. Anyone have experience doing this and are there any pointers or things to keep in mind? Thanks.

It's been a while but in the past, I have created my own "Wago" AOIs to handle the raw data from IO modules. Mainly because I wasn't a fan on the structure/tagging used in the Wago provided ones, plus I didn't want AOIs for each part number since they were pretty much doing the same. The ones I've looked at weren't that special. Mine were more generic "Wago 2ch AI" versus "Wago 455". I also recall I had to make a special request to get a download link for the AOI on a part number basis which made it a hassle.

If you're familiar with AOIs and building them, you might want to create you own so they conform with your typical style/structure. If you aren't familiar with AOIs, just roll with the stock ones from Wago.

I haven't used Wago remote I/O, but based on my experience with Prosoft I would recommend using the AOI that Wago provides. It should be fully tested and debugged code, so there's no value to be added by spending the time to "roll your own." In fact, if anyone else has to support this program in the future, they will appreciate an AOI supported by vendor documentation.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice. I have started using their AOI's but found some issues with their sample logic and array dimensions not matching what the directions say they should be. I'm staring at their analog out AOI logic and wondering how it could work in the first place. Going to try to push through it but this panel has already shipped so it's going to be a fun start up....

Hello all. I am doing my 1st project using an AB Compactlogix and Wago remote I/O across Ethernet I/P. It seems you can either "roll your own" programming for the analog modules (since 1 channel comes across 2 bytes) or use Wago's Add On Instructions. Anyone have experience doing this and are there any pointers or things to keep in mind? Thanks.

I used 750 I/O for a project many years ago, .. no analog, however.
The only issue I had was that I ended up re-connecting the Ethernet cabling directly from the PLC to the 750 lineup. Yes, I should have used a managed switch, but, moving the cable did the trick. I used the other port on the 750 to connect to the rest of the network.