Help Red Lion Make the G3 Better.

Not in any particular order

1. Undo button doesnt work

2. Help button when picking a driver for a port doesnt work

3. Ability to open concurrent windows or DataTags, User Interface etc

4. Mitsi FX A/Q/FX series driver to auto switch between octal and hex addressing depending on which plc is picked

5. Expanding on 2. help for say Siemens S5 to explain how Bit addressing is done as its not the same as within the S5 or to correct this so it is the same.

6. Alarms and Alarm Handling of Tags....

Not sure how this could be done but like the Ab and others you set the G3 up in an Alarms box with an Alarm Word/s and then type in your list of Alarms that each bit for the word corresponds to. I know this can be done in Excel and exported into C2 and each Alarm would have its own Tag but it is cumbersome and if you have 200 alarms its well cluttered on the Tag Screen.

7. This could follow on from 6...

The ability to have a tag setup as a word (16 or 32 bit) and then when clicking on that particular tag from the Tag Database a popup window shows the Tag represented at bit level with each one bieng sub tags (if you see what i mean!).

8. When accessing an Image, Pushbutton or whatever from the User Interface to be able to have direct access to a Tag Edit box rather than having to go back to the Tag Database window. You can Pick another Tag from here but you cannot edit one.

9. To have better Windows Functionality...

Use Shift and Click of the Mouse to highlight more than one tag to copy or delete

10. To be able to select multiple Tags (see above) and then edit there properties i.e. change the simulation from 0 to 1 for all the tags selected or change all there colours etc etc

11. When more than one device is connected eg A Siemens S7 and two SSD Drives, the ability to seperate the Tags ie have 3 different Tag boxes? I know i can name each tag starting S7, Drive1, Drive2 etc but it would be nice to have the ability to have seperate screens/windows for the different device tags.

12. The Tag Viewer Window to be able to be Maximised.

13. When dialing in remotely to the G3 through a landline or mobile modem the ability to have callback would be good, that way the customer pays for the call.

More Later

Last edited:
Matthias von Zorn said:
A thread to suggest improvements to Red Lions G3 Touch Screens.
One word: Recipes.

I know it can be done with programming but that is really a kludge. I'd really like to see a "Recipes" icon on Crimson's main screen that would provide a better interface for handling multiple settings/batches for a process.

Just my 2 cents...

kolyur said:
One word: Recipes.

I know it can be done with programming but that is really a kludge. I'd really like to see a "Recipes" icon on Crimson's main screen that would provide a better interface for handling multiple settings/batches for a process.

Just my 2 cents...

Totally

Keep it coming, guys. I'll make sure all these points get addressed when we start work on the next major revision, and some might get considered before that point. Can't promise anything too quickly on every single issue, but on some, watch this space...

I think that the Red Lion G3 hardware is outstanding. I am currently working on a project that has two G310s and one G303 all talking to a GE RX3i via an ethernet switch. Also, each G3 OIT is talking Modbus RTU via RS-485 to as many as five Yaskawa drives, with pass-through to the RX3i This functionality saved a ton of money because I did not have to use profibus or devicenet to control and monitor the VFDs.

With all that said, I would like to have the ability to toggle the states of the controls. For instance, if I were using a multi-text object with several states, I would like to be able to cycle through all of the states within the Crimson software to get an idea of what each state will look like without connecting to a controller or incrementing an internal variable to cycle through the states.

Regards

With all that said, I would like to have the ability to toggle the states of the controls. For instance, if I were using a multi-text object with several states, I would like to be able to cycle through all of the states within the Crimson software to get an idea of what each state will look like without connecting to a controller or incrementing an internal variable to cycle through the states.
If the item is bound to a tag, you can do this by selecting the item in question and pressing Ctrl+T or right-clicking and selecting Tag Details. You can then enter a simulation value for the tag, which will be used to render the primitive in the editor. Okay, it's not quite like cycling through the states, but it's similar.

Perhaps I am just use to AB panelview software, but the text boxes in Crimson seem difficult. The ability to just draw a multiline text box, would be great, and the ability to insert tags/expressions into the text is even better. More freedom and less structure to this control would make it great.

Also, the ability to independantly change multistate indicators foreground and background colors format for each state from the control properties, instead of having to go back to the tag editor.

I love the hardware, and functions of the G3, but the graphics in general still need smoothed out some. For simply getting the information to the user, I'd pick a G3 every time. When graphics and the design of the screen need priority I still have to pay for the AB

brian

To change the tag's colors you can use what Mike mentioned above:

"If the item is bound to a tag, you can do this by selecting the item in question and pressing Ctrl+T or right-clicking and selecting Tag Details."

From there you can change the colors, which is better than having to jump over to the tag viewer. Are you asking that the colors be definable for the primitive itself, instead of the tag? If so, I can submit a request for this.

Regards,

16. Vertical Text

Hi Dan

These requests that get submitted, is there any way RL can show if these are to be added say imminently, never or considered in 6 months or whatever ? Say Coming Soon / Under consideration / next Release etc etc