FactoryTalk Activation

Van_Dutchie

Hi Everyone, I have an issue with my factorytalk activations on my Virtual Machine. I lose my activations when I plug in my Ethernet cable when logging onto a machine. To get it back I unplug, refresh and verify that I have my activations. Then open my PLC program, plug my cable in and then I am usually fine. for the most part, sometimes I lose my activations and it'll kick me off the program with a fatal error in the Rockwell software. HAs anyone ran into this and have a possible fix?

You need to provide more info...
Where are your activations installed?
How does your activation manager installed on the vm find them?
How is your ethernet on the vm configured?
Are you changing the ethernet config on your vm or your host to connect to the PLC?

To help get this started, this is how mine is set up using VMware:
Activations are installed on my host (my laptop).
Activation manager is looking for my laptop's computername.
My vm ethernet is setup for NAT.
When I connect to a PLC, I change the config of a USB-ethernet dongle plugged into my laptop thru the host os. I leave the built in NIC that I use to connect to my office network unchanged.

This works well for me. The main reason I do it this way is I need to support multiple vms. I did notice recently (last year or so - it coincided with a new laptop) that I had to have my ethernet cable actually connected to a live port before activation manager would find my activations. It did not behave that way in the past. Your situation of "losing the activations when connecting to a PLC" sound like they might be related. I could see that if you used "Bridged" for instance.

Last edited:
What type of VM host are you using; VMWare, Windows hypervisor, VirtualBox, etc ?

Are your activations being served by a computer on the network, or are they locally activated and tied to a MAC ID of network adapter (a virtual one, in your case) ?

All of my VMWare Workstations are set up with a virtual NIC that connects only to my enterprise network, so my VM can get to the Rockwell license server we run our Toolkit on.