Getting online with a SLC150

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We're an industrial machinery merchant so we get all kinds of old PLCs in, that we sometimes have a need to connect to.

We have the PCIS software and a programming cable but have never tried to use it.

I found this old thread which is very informative:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37641

Using the DosBox software, is it possible to use a Windows 7 machine? Failing that, we have a Win 7 machine with XP running on VMware. We don't have any real serial ports but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Any OS will work, when we build our cables we test them on windows 10

We have videos on our support page that shows the setup

I've not tried connecting to the SLC150 yet but with the USB converter cable plugged in, instead of "Serial1: Opening com4" in the DOSBox communications window, I'm getting "Serial1: Warning: Tried to activate FIFO."

Is this a problem or just a consequence of not having the PLC attached? I'll try to connect to the PLC in the morning.

The PCIS software is coming up in DOSBox.

Got it!

Sometimes, I take things a bit too literally. There's a bit in the video where it says "after installing, move DOSBox to the root of your drive" or words to that effect, and that's exactly what I did. DOSBox was working fine but moving the folder seems to have broken the link to its dosbox.conf file. Despite editing it as required, the communications window reports that it can't find a config file.

I got round it by using the config command at the Z:\ prompt

config -set "serial serial1=directserial realport:com?"

where ? is replaced by my com port number.

Got online, figured out the problem, made a change and saved it. Another machine running and ready to put more money in the company coffers!

Thanks to GIT and everyone who chipped in on the old thread.