OMRON - CJ1M - Trio Motion controller MC206

castro

I have a setup with a Trio Motion Coordinator MC206, Simple Servo Drive SS608 and an advanced Digital Servo Motor 523-20-F430.
The project in mind is to be able to start the TRIO motion programs from a CJ1M PLC. An operator will set a reference speed through an HMI (CX-Supervisor).
How do I communicate the Trio Motion controller with the CJ1M?
Is ethernet an option? OMRON ETN11 Ethernet module & Trio Ethernet daughter board

I've used the Trio 202 and 206 controllers on a handful of projects, but I'm not familiar with Omron, so I don't know what type of communication they support... :confused:

The Trios speak Modbus and Devicenet, with others as options (LINK), so I would expect it to be quite easy to connect to your CJ1M. My only experience beyond discrete control is with Modbus to a Maple Systems HMI, which was extremely simple to set up, and worked flawlessly... (y)

The Trio Technical Reference Manual explains the protocols quite well in chapter 13... đź““

beerchug

-Eric

Ethernet is quite expensive.

Have a look at Modbus. It is easy to set up. You would require a CJ1W-SCB??. There are 2 available, one has 2 x RS232 and the other 1 x RS232 and 1 x RS422/485. Use CX-Protocol to write your own driver or let us know here if you require a tried and proven Modbus Master protocol that can be downloaded into the SCB with CX-Protocol.

Device Net may not be quite so easy. The Trio Controller probably has a lot of memory locations. Find out if it is an easy set up - 2 channel or similar, or whether it requires explicit messaging. Explicit messaging can be an absolute pain the first time around but very easy once you have done it.

I know nothing about DeviceNet, but here's a blurb from the Trio manual:

"The Motion Coordinator operates as a slave device on the DeviceNet network. The Motion Coordinator supports Explicit Messages of the predefined master/slave connection set and Polled I/O. It does not support the Explicit Unconnected Message Manager (UCMM).

Polled I/O allows the master to send 4 integer variables to the Motion Coordinator and to read 16 integer variables from the Motion Coordinator. These values are mapped to the global VR() variables in the Motion Coordinator. The values are transferred periodically at a rate determined by the DeviceNet Master. VR(0) to VR(250) are also accessible over DeviceNet individually by way of the Explicit Messaging service.
"

Whether or not that means it's gonna be easy or hard, I haven't a clue... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

Whether or not that means it's gonna be easy or hard, I haven't a clue...

Not too bad actually. If castro posts back again and requires information on how to do explicit messaging with Omron, I will post a link for him, and some further information.

First of all tahnks for your interest in this topic.
Actually I have available the hardware to go either by ethernet or devicenet. What I mean is that I have an OMRON CJ1W-ETN11 Ethernet unit and a CJ1W-DRM21 DeviceNet units from past projects. I have been exposed a bit to the OMRON ethernet communication setup. In fact we have two controller link networks (5 PLCs and the other 12 PLCS) connected between each other with wireless ethernet, plus another ethernet wireless link to a single PLC. I did not make this design, but have become pretty familiar with its configuration.
Now, you might be asking yourselves why not use an OMRON motion controller. Well, we as well have a couple spare TRIO motion controller cards from past projects which we want to use.
Its the link with a non OMRON product which has given us problems.
Thanks again for your comments and help and I am open to your suggestions.