electrical applicant testing

I tried to cover a lot of things that I felt a technician working in the automation field should know. I would like to add a good trouble shooting section to it. I see so many techs (and engineers) that can't trouble shoot very effectively or at all.

Good well rounded test, biased more toward design than debug. I believe you may get different responses to question 8 based on the applicant's background; different industries have different favorites.

jstolaruk said:
Good well rounded test, biased more toward design than debug. I believe you may get different responses to question 8 based on the applicant's background; different industries have different favorites.

I thought 8 was a given, never seen 12-24vdc or 0-100ma used for analog. It did asked for the 2 most common.

I agree with the need for more troubleshooting questions. You may want to try a couple of these:

1. What is the best indication that a 4-20mA signal wire is shorted?

a. No signal at the controller

b. Signal maxed out at the controller

c. Blown fuse at the controller

d. Loss of control power

2. If the Output indicator for a PLC is lit, but the output device is not active, what is your first step?

a. Check the voltage at the Output terminal.

b. Change the Output device as it is likely shorted.

c. Change the Output fuse.

d. Check the MCR (E-Stop) voltage, or the supply voltage to the output card.

3. What would you do to correct a faulted PLC Processor?

a. Power cycle the processor to reboot it.

b. Turn the key switch to program mode, then back to run mode to soft-boot the processor.

c. Go on-line with the processor, and try to locate the source of the fault.

d. Go on-line with the processor, and switch it back to run mode.

4. If the signal on a wet leg configured transmitter suddenly goes off scale, what should you do first?

a. Open the equalizing valve on the three valve manifold to equalize pressure.
b. Check to see that there is fluid in the wet leg.

c. Check for a shorted circuit.

d. Check for an open circuit.

5. When looking for a short in a branched circuit, which tool would be best?

a. Volt meter, or wiggy

b. Oscilloscope.

c. Megger

d. Ohm meter

6. What condition can cause a "run-a-way" in a VFD?

a. Loss of tach feedback.

b. Shorted speed signal.

c. Overheated SCR

d. Blown MOV

I have a post on Ron's site on a similar theme.
http://patchn.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?p=7498#7498

Teaching PLC and Fluid Power talks mostly about programing or design. I have seen very few maintenance folks that either program a new app or design a hydraulic system.

Maintenance folks are required to troubleshoot efficiently and quickly. What is required are analytical skills not, an in depth knowledge of whatever they happen to be working on. No one (or very few) can be highly skilled at machining, welding, fitting bearings, hydraulic piston pumps and have an in depth knowledge of what’s in that gray cabinet.

Whenever I hired someone I questioned them if they fixed their own car or washing machine. If you can find someone that can take their broken dishwasher apart in the evening and be able to order parts in the morning I’ll hire them without a seconds thought.

plchacker said:
I agree with the need for more troubleshooting questions. You may want to try a couple of these.....

4. If the signal on a wet leg configured transmitter suddenly goes off scale, what should you do first?

a. Open the equalizing valve on the three valve manifold to equalize pressure.
b. Check to see that there is fluid in the wet leg.

c. Check for a shorted circuit.

d. Check for an open circuit.

Hacker,

Got the rest but this one :unsure: ...a WAG would be :confused:, c. Check for a shorted circuit., but I don't know, can you explain...

geniusintraining said:
Hacker,

Got the rest but this one :unsure: ...a WAG would be :confused:, c. Check for a shorted circuit., but I don't know, can you explain...

He is refering to a differential pressure (level) transmitter. These have analog outputs like 4-20ma. I dismissed A mainly because it did not make sense. I dismissed d because an open should provide a loss of signal alarm in most cases. The problem is I do not know what would happen if a wet leg went dry but I like it as an answer better than I do a short.

I have never used a written test but it seems like it might be a good idea. I prefer to ask real world questions directly, that way you get to see how the candidate responds, which can tell you a lot about their skills and personality.

My favorite question for electrical techs goes something like this;

A 1HP motor on a conveyor is tripping it's overload after running for approximately 5 minutes. What could be wrong and what tools would you use to diagnose the problem?

If someone claims to have knowledge of AB PLC's I ask them what are the different bits that can be used on a timer.

If they get these questions right, the questions get harder. If they get them wrong the questions get easier to try and find out where their knowldedge is and to make them more confortable.

I once asked a "master electrician" what the frequency was in the light bulb above his head, he told me 120V.

Wow, nice test! It's definately geared more toward an entry level controls engineer than a service tech though.

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but there's a company that sells some nice troubleshooting training software. I think it had a test mode that would be perfect for testching a technician's troubleshooting skills. I got docked on the safety steps, but had fun troubleshooting the problems in their demo. If I remember the name, I'll post it.

geniusintraining said:
Hacker,

Always check to see if there is fluid in the wet leg. This is a DP cell. The wet leg often has a drain valve, that if opened will drain the fluid, and throw the transmitter off scale either high or low, depending on set-up.

Opening the equalizing valve will only cause more trouble.

If there is a shorted, or open circuit, it should be easy to spot, as a 0 mA on a 4-20 scale indicates an open circuit and a short circuit will normally push over 20 mA.

Wet legs are often used in steam drums on boilers. This is because the steam will condense in the leg that goes to the top of the drum, and will fill that leg with condensate. Good practice is to fill the leg with anti-freeze, to prevent trouble in the winter.

I've been busy for most of this thread, but part of what I do is test prospective employees, and employees moving up in pay level.

My thoughts on testing:

Never ever depend on a test to hire someone. Always follow with a solid interview, and background check. There are folks who can blow away a test and couldn't poor pee out of a boot with instructions written on the heal. Likewise, there are some very good techs out there that have troubles with testing.

Always use both a written and a hands on tests if possible. Our test bank uses more than two hundred questions and picks fifty at random, from groups to get the right content balance.

Missed questions can provide a lot of information about the individual. Not so much that they missed the question, but the thought process that led to missing the question. We have several safety related questions that have more than one correct answer, until you consider safety. Likewise, I have maintenance questions that are designed to detect experience.

I am not at liberty to offer our test to the public. There is too much at stake for those who take this test.

When I was in the mills, I often tested new hires prior to the interview. I found that it does not take a large involved test to sort out the good people. But, if you have 200 applicants, and three jobs, an involved test helps.

Oddly enough, most often the results of the written tests, and hands on tests confirm each other. I always expected to see a good many breakouts, where someone would have trouble on a written test, then sail through a hands on. So far, that is not the norm, or even common.

We happen to have a very impressive set of laboratories to work with. So hands on, be it motor controls, PLC, Instruments, or even lighting circuits, is easy for us to set up. The hands on part is time weighted and I can pick from any number of built in, or added faults. I try to use real MCC's/Starters, with a typical PLC for the Motor controls/PLC tests. We have five "plants" a boiler, and two small digesters (we can make paper from chips on site.) The plants include pH treatment, DeMin plant, Crystallizer, a Batch Process, and a Level/Flow/Temp water plant on single loop controllers. The DeMin, crystallizer, and batch are all on PLC's with a control room running RSView. The pH is also on single loop controllers.

To say the least, my new job has been a joy. Seeing the next generation of electricians on their way up is a lot of fun. Still at testing time, I often test people that I have worked with/around for years. Some have worked for me. Fortunately, I only evaluate, I do not pass or fail anyone, only record progress. The decisions are made by the company that we are testing for at the time. (Several local mills use this service.) For that reason, I am very careful to make sure that the tests have definite answers/solutions. Any personal judgment is avoided.

RDay said:
No problem guys. I have used this test several times in the last year with good results. I usually allow an hour and a half to take the test in. So far only 2 out of 10 applicants have completed the entire test in the allotted time frame. It is a work in progress and I would welcome any comments or ideas for improvement.
Do you have an answer key for your test? I'm afraid I would not know a correct answer if I saw one.
Thanks