OT: PLC's used to control model Trains

scottmurphy said:
The way this thread is going, maybe you could make it a beer delivery train.......

I'm "on board" with that idea!!!

Can you tell it 5 on Friday ???

I need to go home!

plchacker, I also miss the trains back in good old blighty but I'm not planning on going back anytime soon so imported beer it is for now !

I once took a class field trip to SafeTran.
They make the gates for railroad crossings.

Coolest thing there, was a Model train setup upstairs.
They tested their designs on this track.

Had to be a great place to work.
I know that what they did was serious stuff, but hey, they do get to play with toys all day.
👨🏻‍🏫 Sounds like a great way to teach.

I hardly dare to admit this but I am accumulating GE 90-30 PLC components to block signal logic on my model railroad. I haven't actually started on that phase of it because the track and scenery have to come first but------someday!!!!

RR signaling is intensely logical and involves lots of issues beyond just keeping trains from running into each other. Once I get started on it, I probably won't be able to think about anything else for the next year.

I'll keep you all posted.

Sounds like a great school project to me. Challenge student teams to come up with the lowest cost solution and still meet the specs.

In addition to being an excellent project for a class project, don't forget to include the basics on wiring concepts and troubleshooting.

I have found that not all programmers (as least they claim to be) have any concept of troubleshooting.

Oakley said:
In addition to being an excellent project for a class project, don't forget to include the basics on wiring concepts and troubleshooting.

I have found that not all programmers (as least they claim to be) have any concept of troubleshooting.

BINGO! That's a seperate lab project. I have several control cabinets scattered out with lots of goodies for troubleshooting. It should be finished this summer. The train sets will just be getting started.

I may well need to switch to Siemens PLC's. Friday brought real big news. We have a big steel mill comming to our back yard. I'm not quite sure what all it will affect at the school, but we will play a part. I think the estimate is just under $4B. 2700 full time employees after construction.

I feel it is irrevelant on what type of PLC you use - the skill of programming, troubleshooting, and wiring are all transferable between different languages.

So, if you have to switch to Siemens, then go for it.

plchacker said:
BINGO! That's a seperate lab project. I have several control cabinets scattered out with lots of goodies for troubleshooting. It should be finished this summer. The train sets will just be getting started.

I may well need to switch to Siemens PLC's. Friday brought real big news. We have a big steel mill comming to our back yard. I'm not quite sure what all it will affect at the school, but we will play a part. I think the estimate is just under $4B. 2700 full time employees after construction.

I would only make the switch to Siemens if the steel mills standard is Siemens - it's worth taking the time to find out as they could well be a major customer for the next year or so.

Of course I also agree that once taught PLC programming it's relatively easy to switch systems, but most people are most comfortable with their first taught system.

Just my 2c worth.

This thread is On Time

I've been working (not quite bulding) on this idea for awhile. How cool would it be to have a throttle, displayed on the Panelview, that you could "move" to control the train?

One thing that has me stumped is getting 0-10 VDC from an analog output card onto the tracks. I think HO trains run in the 0-17 VDC range and I'm guessing they draw an amp or so. I doubt there is a DC Drive avaiable that will work for that light a load. Have you seen a plan for something you can build?

I've seen plenty of transistor amplifier projects but nothing that says "0-10 VDC from a PLC to a HO Trainset Amplifier" and I need something that specific.

I'm really eager to hear how your project developes. Good luck and please keep us informed.

Frank

Oakley said:
I feel it is irrevelant on what type of PLC you use - the skill of programming, troubleshooting, and wiring are all transferable between different languages.

So, if you have to switch to Siemens, then go for it.

I agree. I am not sure what type of PLC they will use. Still I would imagine it will be Siemens. We are already in contact with the company. I already have a lot of AB. Adding some Siemens would be a good move. I am curious about the Siemens VFD's. I keep hearing great things about these drives. I certainly will not forget the companies that got us to this point.

The transducer from PLC to Train has been a big question for me. I have a couple ideas so far. One, a small DC drive. Two turn it over to the crew of electrical engineers at my disposal. There are three that work for a group here on campus. That group uses our trainers regularly.

Having both Siemens and AB could provide to be a useful scenario.

1. Could have two groups work with a different set. Then determine similarities.

2. Have the project implemented on both platforms, then compare likeness. Could also expose where each may have strengths over the other.

I would definitely focus on what the local market supports, but also explain the different markets support different platforms.