PLC used to monitor and control battery

leitmotif

In the Electrical Vehicle world the "big deal" is Battery Management (Monitor) System (BMS). As they discuss it is basically an undervoltage or overvoltage to prevent damage to Lithium Phosphate cells. Often the "solutions" are a board mounted to cell terminals that puts a shunting resistor across the cell. These often cost about $100 per cell - ballparking this it is about 1/2 cost for a circa 100 amp hour cell.

One of the critical factors of batteries is often overlooked - temperature of cells. I have seen Li cells that have swelled and theorize this is caused by overheating.

The state of charge is basically done by measuring current discharged or charged to battery. These modules often run about 3 to $500.

I wondered if I could beat the $100 per cell cost using a PLC. I looked at Automation Direct and a package to monitor 16 cells came out to about 50 per cell and with temperature monitoring 75 per cell.

So design parameters for 100 cells
1 Monitor cells for individual cell voltage
2. Monitor using shunts both battery current and motor current. In case of VFD and AC motor this may be done with a current signal provided by VFD.
3. Monitor total battery voltage
4. Monitor individual cell temperature

OUTPUTS
1. one or two for each cell to place one or two shunts across cell. I like two to give 3 levels of shunting. 200 outputs right there.
2. Display temperature and cell number on a panel meter. Possible alarm function 2 outputs
3. DIsplay battery and motor amperage. Possible alarm function 4 outputs
4. Display total voltage 1 output
5. Control signal to battery charger that would regulate battery charge voltage adjusted for temperature. one output
6 Control signal to charger to shut down charger when complete. one output

I think PLC can scan the inputs say temperature decide the high level and then dump that value and cell number to a buffer or temporary file which can be used to provide output.

Reason I like PLC for this
1. Well proven technology - dont have to write software
Customer would have to enter only his parameters to monitor his battery.
2. Eliminate the circuit cards bolted across cells make cleaning and maintenance easier.
3. Off shelf stuff widely available factory support.
4. PLC and other controls can be remotely mounted in passenger compartment to keep clean and out of rain road splash.

Downsides
expense - customer lack of familiarity AND expertise - environment problems such as vehicle vibration, temperature and humidity.
High traction battery bus voltage ie 325 VDC. This is not referanced to ground.
OK I need to hear from devil advocates on stuff I have not thought of and or why wont work.
Car parked for week (or??) - how do I avoid drain of 12V or 24V battery and avoid losing the program and customer inputted parameters. Same thought for disconnecting the battery.

I would also like recommendations on whose product to use - ideally 12 VDC but know 24 VDC will give more options so can accept 24 VDC.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
"car" If so, it sounds like a job for a custom circuit board.

Yes quite a few people are designing and selling custom circuit boards. Some are good and some are bad.

The trouble in the USA electric vehicle field often is those who build something and then go out of business in a few years. This is one of the issues I am trying to overcome.

The more I think about this the more complicated it gets which is why I am looking for devil advocates.
Dan Bentler

Yes quite a few people are designing and selling custom circuit boards. Some are good and some are bad.

The trouble in the USA electric vehicle field often is those who build something and then go out of business in a few years. This is one of the issues I am trying to overcome.

The more I think about this the more complicated it gets which is why I am looking for devil advocates.
Dan Bentler
Before you put too much time into these custom boards, make sure the vehicle is going to sell, or is this another good reason for a PLC? :)

My only concern would be space. Room to mount things is at a premium inside a vehicle - even more so in an electric vehicle.

The power-off program memory should be solvable with someone's compact flash/SD card-based memory. AB does it, I've never looked into AD's offerings.

For all these outputs and comms, you should just plan on some RS232 or RS485 (can-bus?) output - since most cars' OBDII system runs on a CAN-Bus right now anyway. Looks like CAN bus is proprietary Bosch stuff(?)
People have hacked the CAN bus before - check out Ross Tech's "Vag-Com" product for this (they 'hacked' into a VW CAN bus system- they might even publish source code...) Please forgive my use of the term 'hacked', Vag-Com is a legitimate product.

Space is going to be an issue.

John Thanks. I have NEVER had the luxury of unlimited space. I was the smallest electrician on submarine. Will let your imagination work on that.

Dan Bentler