FactoryTalk help

stu

Hi
I have a machine that has got an issue with displaying the heater. Temp on the heater pop up key pad
I get the stars , if in enter the value in it changes but it’s just the visual look of the stars ,
In the input display we have the value with the tag name I the optional Ex we have ?*5/9+32
It is an American machine with F and C heater screens we are using the Celsius so I’m assuming it’s A display Issue as it works on F ok but when I change the page the value inputs work and changed ok but the pop up input has *****
Anyone seen this be for

670D8B41-6A15-4945-997A-EEEB33C54186.jpeg

The value in the display appears to be a 4 digit with one decimal place. The numeric entry is scaled for a 3 digit value from 0-260. The numeric entry needs to be changed from 3 digit to 4 digit with one decimal place. The only way to change this is from ftview studio and create a new runtime .mer file.

This is probably not what is happening, but you asked if anyone had seen this before.

Not in this context, but I have seen asterisks displayed by software when there are too many ASCII digits for the programmed string result. I am pretty sure I have only ever seen that in Fortran programs, which is unlikely to be involved here.

Converting from degF to Celsius involve multiplying by five-ninths as you note, so if some string is too long there could be a repeating count of decimal points that exceeds the display width; I have seen that with Python, again unlikely to be involved here.

Try a temperature in degF that will convert to a value in Celsius that can be exactly represented by a floating point value, e.g. -40degF (-40degC), 32degF (0C), 212degF (100C), 98.6degF (37C).

The value in the display appears to be a 4 digit with one decimal place. The numeric entry is scaled for a 3 digit value from 0-260. The numeric entry needs to be changed from 3 digit to 4 digit with one decimal place. The only way to change this is from ftview studio and create a new runtime .mer file.

Is that in the input properties

Displaying asterisks is "normal" when the value you are writing to is outside of the range you specified for the numeric entry. So in your case, when you open the numeric entry, and the tag you are writing to currently has a value less than 0 or greater than 260, asterisks will be displayed.

I tried looking at the decimal point but when opening up the screen and clicking on the Numeric input Enable
I would expect to see the properties screen , but I get the properties on the rhs ? Haven’t seen that before

7D84A402-2B48-4EEF-BBA3-1E532ADCE689.png D9FC347C-78B2-4AB5-957B-A88F31375F4E.jpeg

As bob said, Your screen shot is the properties window. You need to look on the “numeric” tab not the general tab.

Click on the Numeric tab. You can see that tab in your first screen shot.
This is assuming your looking for the decimal point config.