The best way to manually (HMI) control a LinMot Linear Motor

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
I spent quite a bit of time researching LinMot Linear Motors, after it was suggested, on this forum, that they would be the best actuator for my project. My project required operator initiated, position control, following mathematically generated curves.

LinMot produces a wide verity of Driver/Controllers to manage their motors. Most differences are related to communication methods, Ethernet IP, Profibus etc. LinMot tends to prefer Rockwell PLC's and the RSLogix 5000 software. Siemens PLC's will also work, using their Professional TIA Portal software.

I'm curious what others on this forum may have done, that was simpler .. or at least cost effective.

The title above says "manually" .. suggesting an HMI, because there is no automation going on here. All start/stop control must be done by an operator. It doesn't have to be by HMI(Closed Loop), a touchscreen could be used, communicating with a PC. The PC produces an analog signal (DAC), which inputs to the LinMot Drive,... and thus, the "position" is controlled (Open Loop)

About a year ago, Peter Nachtwey (pres. Delta Motion)suggested on this forum, that I use a motion controller, and an advanced HMI.. like the Red Lion G3 series. I was slow to appreciate that suggestion, and continued to slog thru the ever-entangling difficulties of making a PLC do the job.

Eventually, I saw the light .. and now have a wonderful system (PLC free) that can do anything with the LinMot linear Motor.

I'm curious tho .. This is a forum with vast experience in Automation Engineering ... So, I'm asking what do you think?

Could you have built something using a PLC and HMI, other than Siemens and Rockwell ... and not needed expensive programming software?

Regards, Michael

Last edited:
Perhaps this might help understand my question: I don’t know how many PLC/HMI manufacturers there are. I mentioned Siemens and Rockwell.. but, I have a problem with their expensive programming software. I have heard of Omron, Beckhoff, Ace, Fanuc, Mitsubishi and others… I’m wondering if engineers on this list have a favorite “low budget, free programming software” HMI/PLC combination, which would work with LinMot Drives?

I’ve discovered my clients, (Educational & Museums) have no money .. so, I must do this for really cheap… sigh!

I quickly looked at the lin mot website and wasn't able to quickly discern the requirements for controlling the device.

The only similar application I have worked with is controlling the spool position in a hydraulic proportional valve, and PLCs are too slow for that application. The spool position must be controlled by some device which takes a spool position command from the PLC and compares the spool position feedback to the command, and then sends the appropriate amount of current to the linear motor to position the valve spool. The spool has a response time of 2-10ms, so this is too fast for a PLC to control directly.

If the linmot device takes a position reference as a 4-20 mA signal then I don't see why any PLC couldn't control it as long as the PLC scan time is not going to be a factor. If the position setpoint ramps are over many seconds then 10ms is probably fine. if they are faster then the PLC control would result in jerky motion.

Hi Von.. Thanks for the reply
The LinMot Drives have their own PID position control, velocity, force and acceleration .. except for the B1100 VF series which requires a Motion Controler for PID control. (they call it a "Dumb Driver"), it can manage the Stator field very well in controlling a magnetic slider. Very Fast, very forceful, (if needed) with precision.

The curves can be created several ways, the most sophisticated is mathematically, on the fly, by a Motion Controller .. such as Delta's RMC's. Another way, 'tho limited somewhat, is using the Command Table incorporated into the drive, which can store predesigned curves(about 100) and they can be commanded by PLC to run, and also, many curve parameters can be changed, "on the fly" by a PLC/HMI.

Rockwell's AOI's or Siemens Function Blocks can also be used to generate curves mathematically. But, you don't need to do that, if you have enough basic curves in the LinMot drives Command Table, s PlC can launch them, and modify them, if it can be instructed by an HMI.

LinMot drives can be run by digital I/O (the GP series) or any of the most used communication interfaces, Ethernet IP, ProfiBus, RS232 .. etc.

The PLC scan time is probably not a factor, because it will only set parameters or variables, then launch and stop a curve. Actually, only using a human operator ... at the HMI.

Last edited: