What is your favorite programming software?

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
OK first of all I don't want this to turn into one of those "what is the best plc" threads. But in my career I've probably used about a half dozen brands of PLCs, and my observation has been that in many cases the programming software seems like an afterthought. Instability, poor interface, lack of features, you name it. And often a ridiculous price tag to boot. The marketing literature usually talks up the hardware but says little about the software. To me, the quality and ease of use of the programming software should be of prime importance when selecting a brand of PLC.

So what I'd like to hear from everyone is, what is your preferred PLC/PAC based solely on the the programming software? Personally, RSLogix 500 is about the most solid and stable programmer I've worked with. But I have other problems with Allen-Bradley so I'm very interested in other opinions.

I'd have to go with the RSLogix line. It seems to be the most intuitive and stands on its own w/ regards to being a piece of software. I've used everything from the old days of T-30s, VPUs, Logicmasters, Logitrols to the first DOS based software packages (Tisoft, 6200) to the early windows (Directsoft, winsoft, softshop) through to the evolution of RSLogix. I've only casually used omron, panasonic, telemecanique, S5 and S7 plcs so I can't really comment on those too much. But between Siemens/TI, AB, GE and DL/Koyo, Logix wins hands down.

I would say that RSlogix 500 is my favorite software to use... I haven't used Siemen's much, but by far, a better quality software than others I've used. I do like the 500 series better for searching, and moving about in an existing (unknown) program I like the ease of use for arrays, and UDT's in the 5000, but find it much more difficult to troubleshoot, and bounce around in.... I miss the cross-referance under the commands... Also, from a programming standpoint, the UDT's, can be nice and more descriptive, but with structured addresses, I knew, that all the HMI files, where in file B9, and could quickly browse to what I needed. Now I have to remember names.

I've enjoyed using DirectSoft5.

I tried out the Twido suite and Omron's Zen software before buying the A/D stuff.

I've done a fair bit of programming with text editors (or glorified text editors) so the GUI / ladder logic system is quite the treat.

oh dear, here we go, lets all wave the yankee flag and shout about the virtues (yet again) of 'intuitive' :)huh: ) AB.. o_O.

Well, then again, I am about to embark onto a customer site to make a lot of 'on-line' changes using Proworx32..

I will be taking..

Laptop,
Cables,
Rabbits foot,
4-leaf clover,
A horseshoe,
A lump of wood (to touch),
and just in case.. A wishbone...

PeterW said:
Use your head, as my grandmother would've had said. Sorry, I could not resist... :)

To me a good programming software is the one that allows you to enter code while standing next to a machine and holding your laptop in one hand. From that perspective, AB's three-character mnemo codes may not be the best in the world.

Seriously, as an example of what I consider a pretty well designed PLC software, I would have to mention Omron CX-Programmer. Although it is not free of some strange idiosyncrasies and is sorely missing as simple feature as tabbed windows.

I'm an old timer on AB... I really thought their products were the best until I got started on GE. The Proficy software is terrific, the way you program their PLCs beats AB (mostly). Drawback - once you make an edit you can't view anything. The edits are ONLY offline, (+!) until you download them, no online editing like AB (-!). I can use the software either way, that's a big difference, though. It doesn't let you crash a processor in mid-edit...

Each software has its quirks, but AB has a long way to go to top Proficy.

PeterW said:
Well, then again, I am about to embark onto a customer site to make a lot of 'on-line' changes using Proworx32..

I will be taking..

Laptop,
Cables,
Rabbits foot,
4-leaf clover,
A horseshoe,
how about taking MODSOFT

Sliver said:
how about taking MODSOFT

The customers 'upgraded' completely to Proworx32.

(They have MODSOFT on their maintenance machine, its already been highlighted as a possiblity, but then there's the documentation that will be ****ed up if I use that, still a possibility though :whistle: )

well put peter, lets talk about what software you don't like, (see my thread on panelview +)Rockwell has been pretty good (well generaly easy for most people to find their way round), I have been thown in the deep end many times in the last 25 years with systems I have never used, & never really been stumped, but PV+ with all it's hundreds of updates, poor diagnostics, expensive configuration software expensive tech connect or wait days for an answer (in the last case their reply was wrong anyway?).
I have in the past been an AB/Rockwell fan as well as many other vendors like mitsi, siemens, omron etc. but these last couple of years their attitude to support seems to be how much can you fleece them for.
The place I work for have spent well over a hundred thousand pounds on plc's, hmi's,Scada & software which I have designed into control systems, well now I think it's time to junk that lot & use one of the many other systems that we also use.
Ahh... nearly forgot, what tpyes of plc do I like siemens & Mitsubishi.

PeterW said:
oh dear, here we go, lets all wave the yankee flag and shout about the virtues (yet again) of 'intuitive' :)huh: ) AB.. o_O.

I will be taking..

Laptop,
Cables,
Rabbits foot,
4-leaf clover,
A horseshoe,

BEER!!!

The question..... "whats is your favorite programming software"
Mickey's answer....
Mickey said:

I am with Mickey on this one... forget the PC's I can make anything work if there is enough beer..... well if I have enough it looks like it working ;) ;)

PS, I like them all :)

We use RS logix, Directsoft,and GE, of these, Directsoft is my personal top choise due to its' easy comm section...I have spent hours trying to get AB stuff to talk to me...very frustrating when a machine is down and the customer is looking over your shoulder making nasty noises...

As far as programing is concerned, they all have good and bad points, but I feel that I can write more code in a given amount of time in Directsoft than either of the others.

David

:site:🍻

PLCs (ranking range 001-999):

001-300. places yet to be taken
301. RS Logix 500
302. RS Logix 500
325. RS Logix 5000
328. GX Developer
405. CX Programmer
500. custom circuits using current solid state devices
600. custom circuits using solid state devices from 80s
700. custom circuits using solid state devices from 70s
913. Step7 300
997. soldering wires to rivets embeded in plywood and using vacuum tubes
998. hardwired code using bunch of relays
999. creating logic using leaky hydraulic

HMIs (also 001-999):

001-200. places yet to be taken
201-210. PB32
250. Writing software using Win enviroment (VB, VB.NET etc.) using canned comm. solutions
351-370. shared by various non Windows CE packages
407. Writing software using Win enviroment (VB, VB.NET etc.) and having to write own driver
800-810. shared by ... (packages based on Windows CE)
811. writing DOS program
899. writing DOS program using QBASIC
999. steam powered wistle transmitting morse codes