What is your favorite programming software?

if it's the only choice than it it's more than #1, (it's the best, it's the worst, it's ...everything).

there is Step7 MicroWin (S7-200?) which I didn't want included since I've never tried it. it's sitting in the box next to my desk but fortunately nobody so far made me install that too.

Step7 5.4 (for 300/400 series CPUs) has plenty of features and power, i'll admit that. but to make it favourite, it would have to be much more user friendly and that is why it didn't make it near top of my list, it's way too cumbersome. even the most basic and natural things are made quite awkward or take way too many steps which are not just not-intuitive, one has to follow some undocumented series of steps in EXACT order just to get something ordinary to work. I am trully amazed that someone may ENJOY using Step7, so if you are up to, send me a PM and I will be happy to come to Kitchener and try to see better side of it (Step7 of course, I can't complain about Kitchener 🍺 ).

I use Siemens Step7 & Step5, GX Developer for the auld melsecs & AB SLC-500, Step 7 is my favourite but its all what your used to i think, i hear that RSLogix 5000 is pretty nifty too.

Laterz

Longhorn

My favourite is definately CX-Programmer. It runs quite happily on Vista too - my new Dell Vostro 1710 absolutely ROCKETS!!!

AB is second.

Don't even ask me about Step 7.

panic mode said:
they do lot's of self promotion, lot's of it is baseles, maybe they measure efficiency differently...:rolleyes:
it is true that i have only worked with siemens (my member name reveals it) due to reasons such as price, delivery, support, work overload,... but i can tell you the following about the siemens product:
1. it has excellent hardware quality. mistakes made by assembly or commissioning do not easily do damage.
2. software is not very user friendly, but it can do all that you want and more.
3. they have all objects that contain electrons. so you can do all the automation compatible with all electrical hardware.
4. new products are usually hard to commission for the first time (manuals contain hundreds of pages...), but once it started you do not have to worry about them again.
5. their prices are competitive, maybe due to some of the above problems

N.B.: the microwin and s7-200 package is really excellent and user friendly (free software). i highly recommend it for small machines ...

For me "The best PLC" is the PLC with the most convenient programming software.
The name is not count.Most of the manufacturer have very reliable product.
So the best PLC is Omron with CX programing.My problem with them is the price, they cost twice then Siemens S7 200/S7 300 PLCs.
So My vote is:
1.Omron
2.AB
3.DS-5
4.S7 200 Micro win.
5.Step 7 (Pain in the ***)
My deam PLC AB with Siemens tag price.

I use a Mitsubishi and Schneider (Modicon) and never had any problems.

In fact the compact plc ( Twido) is packed with features and the software is also very easy to use.

Here, i would add..the back up also matters there is no point having a AB PLC/Siemens in the middle of a country which has no service/sales centre.

Do the market survey in your area and find out which PLC has good support staff...and go for it...

cheers.

RSLogix 500
RSLogix 5
Step 7 ver.5.3 and up
RSLogix5000
CX Programmer

Why RSLogix 500: Very simple file structure, very simple access to the I/O data (memory tables) as a result it is very-very-very easy to troubleshot and write. If you know 10 basic commands you can start to program quickly. Do your test: ask your wife/friend/boss to write a simple program from the scratch: NO Push button to operate a bulb.

Just my 1cent
icon7.gif

As far as programing is concerned, they all have good and bad points, but I feel that I can write more code in a given amount of time in Directsoft than either of the others.
I find the same thing!

However as of the last few years I find that Directsoft needs an upgrade. For instance, I highly value the 'find all' function in the RSLogix stuff. RSLogix is more polished, but I get more work done in Directsoft.

I haven't used Siemens, GE or Modicon in so long I can't comment.
For PCs, I like Visual Studio.

I've been on both sides of the fence.

Big time S5 user in the '90s, biggest AB basher around, but now
Big time AB user, biggest Siemens basher around.

In the good old DOS days, loved Step5 , even with its quirky control keys based on old CPM pcs.
Loved Modsoft, hated the AB software that used the Online and Offline files, too much confusion.

Now,
love Rslogix5K V16
hate Step7, hey Siemens, Windows supports drag and drop

I used to be Step5 then Step 7 but now I prefer GXIEC, Beijers E Series HMI's but most of the well known makes I can feel comfortable with, it's the new win CE platforms that are a bind, why do we go there, we all know what an unreliable, slow platform windows is (the only thing that makes it fast is the faster hardware).