What is your favorite programming software?

I like Logix5000, but that is about all my company ever uses so I haven't gotten much experience with any others. I come from a PC programming background, so Visual Studio is hands-down my favorite of all.

What about HMI software? I absolutely hate RSView, and my company is trying to move away from it. CTC is alright.

LadderLogic said:
To me a good programming software is the one that allows you to enter code while standing next to a machine and holding your laptop in one hand. From that perspective, AB's three-character mnemo codes may not be the best in the world.

Never done CLX5000 but in 500, there are single stroke quick keys to enter a lot of things. Use Ctrl-E to enter that mode. There is help on all these.

tomalbright said:
I'm an old timer on AB... I really thought their products were the best until I got started on GE. The Proficy software is terrific, the way you program their PLCs beats AB (mostly). Drawback - once you make an edit you can't view anything. The edits are ONLY offline, (+!) until you download them, no online editing like AB (-!). I can use the software either way, that's a big difference, though. It doesn't let you crash a processor in mid-edit...

Each software has its quirks, but AB has a long way to go to top Proficy.

I agree. I have programmed AB PLCs for 15 years and only recently switched to the GE products. Proficy is very intuitive software and has some neat features that AB does not have, such as integrated PLC communications.

As far as programming Only offline, the VersaMax has limited online editing capabilities if you do a word for word exchange, but the RX3i and RX7i processors have full online editing capabilities.

Regards

LM90 and MEDOC

Call me a stick-in-the-mud but it's DOS based for me, anyday.

Once you get used to the hotkeys they're a breeze and no messing about on site looking for a flat surface for your mouse or trying to use a scratchpad with oily mits.

Sadly their days are numbered.:(

I've mainly used AB and GE Proficy, personally I like the GE Proficiy interface, as it is very customizable and I can lay the development environment out in a way that visually makes sense to me.

But that's it.

The functional PLC programming abilities contained within RSLogix 500/500 are much more useful to me then the lackluster abilities of GE, I know that this is processor dependent however when trying to program efficiently this PLC - Development software relationship has to be taken into consideration.

It never hurts to get experience in them all, it allows me to put more words onto my resume:)

I have used RS Logix 5 & 500, Step7-3/400, Step7-200 and Step5 over the last 2-3 years. (And a few others but I have not used them enough to really get a feel for them and rank them.)

In terms of Programming enviroment RS Logix wins to my mind, with S7-200 2nd, S7-3/400 a distant 3rd & step5 well and truly bottom.

However its not just about the programming enviroment and if you take the hardware into account then things change, and they almost end up being equal, for the reasons below:

Step5/S5:

Hardware is reliable, all CPU's support an organised block structure, all CPU's support online changes, all except the most basic CPU's support reusable function blocks. Programming enviroment is idiosyncratic, and has been since it was released, BUT ... once you have 'got your head round it' it's the same basic language right across the range, so only one thing to learn, and it is powerfull, so even although it is dated it still stands up to the modern competition. Just a pity Siemens are pulling the rug from under it.

S7-3/400:

To me a missed opportunity, Upgrade path from s5 can be fraught and very tricky with complex systems. Language is powerful, but programming enviroment is dissapointing, and most of all why didnt they merge the S7-200 into the 3/400 software over the years, so that we were back to s5 situation of 'one language - one software' for everything. Also installation problems with the step7 programming software. (see threads here)

S7-200

Good all round performance, but not well integrated into the S7-3/400 range, with different software/language, so a bit of a dead end to my mind.

RS Logix (in all it's guises)

Programming enviroment is good, hardware is OK, let down by a lack of online changes on the smaller processors and no reusable functions (OK I know you can 'roll your own'), so competant all round, would be my first choice for a enviroment where the people maintaining and running the system after i have gone are mainly electrical with little software/PLC experience.

So thats my 2 penny(cents)worth

Ziemens said:
it is true that i have only worked with siemens (my member name reveals it) due to reasons such as price, delivery, support, work overload,... but i can tell you the following about the siemens product:
1. it has excellent hardware quality. mistakes made by assembly or commissioning do not easily do damage.

I find Siemens products to be far below average. We have purchased TONS of their hardware and I've never seen so many issues:
- Only rarely you get what you ordered, they feel free to change part numbers and revisions based on whatever rolls off assembly line and maintaining compatibility becomes your job.
- Only this year I have some 50 motor modules (S120) which had issues with - safety integrated.
- I've had several 3TK2830 safety relays that have broken base (way too flimsy, often snaps during installing, not to mention attempts to remove it from DIN rail). i didn't believe how many of them got broken so i took new one out of package, held it in my hand while trying to remove one that was already installed. it did work - once, but it took much effort and care and even then it was obvious that unit was used before.
- bunch of the same safety relays had failed and had to be replaced because one or more contacts didn't operate correctly (move with the rest as expected from safety component)
- PN Connectivity Boxes for Mobile HMIs had failures (safety circuit).
- One of the Mobile HMIs came password protected.
- Another (same) HMI would not communicate on any of the comm ports (replaced)
- another HMI (all same model) was working fine for few days. it was repeat job so all it's left is setup and calibration (takes few days) so i didn't bother bringing laptop to the shop (tool was not connected to our network) since everything i needed was on HMI. i had to login as programmer to access all features but this is normal procedure. after setup was done, tool was run through it's paces it was time for acceptance test. customer shows up and we start checking things itme by item following long list. eventually i had to demonstrate security (it was built in feature, not DIY password protection) and I did, well at least i tried. all accounts worked as expected but Programmer which seamed to have same rights as Operator (login was accepted but access to specific features was blocked).
- the ET200S modules have key that snaps into base when module is inserted. Removing it requires non-existent 10-prong tool, Siemens suggests prying it out using simple flat screwdriver which bends the prongs and damages unit.
- We had servo motor that got burned (literally turned to charcoal). Motor was sized and installed according to Siemens guidelines, load and duty cycle was never exceeded. Siemens reviewed whole thing before it was built and few times later on (every time that motor ended up in smoke). They never admited what was the problem or why built in temperature sensor never did it's job.
- working on project whole day (test, make change, save download) eventually leads to corrupted MMC. The documented procedures and suggestions from tech support didn't work (well replacing MMCs worked but I soon run out of spare MMCs) and they had no clue how to restore the corrupt cards to factory defaults without using promer (not the handiest little gadget that one can cary around).
- changing one of the safety files and downloading to controller should cause fault because integrity of safety program is gone. i decided to test it so i explained my intend to colegues and purposely changed one rung (changed contact from NO to NC), saved file and downloaded it to PLC.
change was accepted and program worked according to code change and without recompiling whole safety code. i tried cycling power and everything worked again. we cycled power homed machine run few cycles no problem. i was shocked so I went to try it out on another machine (different kind but with same processor). i repeated whole thing and it worked the same way. two days later (after several power cycles and process sequences) one of the two showed fault on powerup. i went online to check diagnostic and it complained about inconsistency of the safety code. compiled project and downloaded it, everything worked. why it took two days for it to figure out that safety code is not sharing same checksum?

and i don't want to even mention software quality or the poor website. even mighty Google only finds scraps at best, this is clear indication of very poor web presence.

2. software is not very user friendly, but it can do all that you want and more.

yes, often one has to bend backwards just to do simple things.

3. they have all objects that contain electrons. so you can do all the automation compatible with all electrical hardware.

i don't know how to interpret this statement, i guess must be typo. i've never seen products that use only protons and neutrons as building material.

4. new products are usually hard to commission for the first time (manuals contain hundreds of pages...), but once it started you do not have to worry about them again.

well, in my case manuals started showing up on Siemens website months after we purchased hardware. manuals are incomplete, lack basic revision control (same file name, same document number, same title, same date, same link it was downloaded from, but files differ by hundreds of pages). did they ever hear about ISO?

5. their prices are competitive, maybe due to some of the above problems

hardware price is small part of the cost and plays big role only if used on standard product (big quantity). engineering time is bigger portion on any but maybe trivial project. their software lacks basic features such as import and export, copy and paste etc. or have limited scope.
good support can easily offset many product deficiencies (hardware or software). support in Ontario is horrible. they have done so little it's not worth mentioning. in some cases they flatly have refused to even look into issue or have requested to hand them over whole project the issue was undocumented error code in NetPro, all they have to do it have someone look it up in their own source code. i offered them to come and check it out on our site using one of our laptops or me to do any troubleshooting step they want for them. they refused, whole project or nothing. maybe i should just give them the project and have myself fired and sued by my own company.

in the end i offered to do them a favour and search through their source code for them but for some strange reason they refused, wonder why...:whistle:

Unitronics Visilogic. Not only is it a terrific software package in general (I used to be an AB man, you couldn't pull my teeth out to make me switch back to RSLogix 500), the ease and simplicity of software that integrates the logic and HMI programming into a single seamless package is something you have to try out to really appreciate.

But wait, you can try it! Because it's FREE to download from the company's site. And thanks to user feedback and an active forum, it's evolving faster than ever. Lots of great new features in 7.0, and the new beta is outstanding :D

And no, I don't work there.

TM

Timothy

Your favorite are siting 10 min from me.I would not touch them with a stick.
I think RS logic is much better then any Unitronics.
With Siemens you have total integration.PLC&HMI.
Made in Israel mean something to me.
Not when it pure compered to others(and not so cheap).
Free software is not all.

Logix 5000
CX Programmer
Logix 500
MEDOC!!
Schneider software (can't remember it's name, only used it once)
Step 7 for 300/400
Step 7 Microwin
GX Developer

Hi Arik,

ArikBY said:
Timothy
Your favorite are siting 10 min from me.I would not touch them with a stick.
I think RS logic is much better then any Unitronics.
With Siemens you have total integration.PLC&HMI.
Made in Israel mean something to me.
Not when it pure compered to others(and not so cheap).
Free software is not all.

It's true that free is not everything and it's also a question of taste - DirectSoft is very inexpensive, and it has it's boosters here, but I found it to be an abysmal programming package.

I've programmed in RSLogix and Visilogic more than any other package, and I stand by my statement, teeth and all. I find RSLogix to be difficult to manuever in, tricky to place ladder elements, constrained by it's rung-based architecture (Visi uses nets) and the addressing, while versatile, is cumbersome.

Not long ago, I got a refresher course in how nice this HMI/PLC integration is. I had a project where the screen of the V280 was physically too small to accomodate the project, so I went with a 15" C-more.

Now don't get me wrong on either count - I still used a Uni in the cabinet, and set some diagnostics up on the screen for easy access. And the C-more was a very nice HMI, with some excellent features.

But fully a third of my time was invested in setting up tags, labels, and addresses. What a pain! And this is a problem you will always have with any non-integrated package, even if both components are from the same manufacturer. Make a change in the PLC, and at best you'll have to export the tag library to the HMI software.

And yeah, I know, AB has FactoryTalk, automatic export, etc, etc, it seems we had quite a blizzard of posts about how lousy that worked. They may have gotten the bugs out by now, but there are NO bugs in an integrated package like Unitronics.

My 2-bits.

TM

I've used:

Step7 (Siemens)
Microwin (Siemens)
CX_Programmer (Omron)
Modicon (Telemecaniquée)
RSLogix 5 (Allen Bradley)
RSLogix 500 (Allen Bradley)
TwinCat (Beckhoff)

For me the best is Step7 but maybe it's because it's the one I know more... I like TwinCat too.

The worst: RSLogix (5 and 500)

Bye!

Hi Timothy

The Uni have it own advantages and disadvantages like every thing in our life.
I respect Uni.From small Israeli company they become world wide operation.They work pretty good here .
I think they invent the idea of PLC&HMI in one package.
The most of my systems need On line edits like what AB Siemens and Omron offer.Not Like Uni.
For large systems Uni don't fit, according to my opinion.

I know tag transfer issue bother all of us.
I develop technique to transfer tags but it clumsy.(Excel Cut & Paste )
Its take few minutes more then with Uni or Siemens.
AB Siemens and other offer much stronger platform.
No one offer Test Edits like AB .and No one offer power like Siemens.And no one offer interactive interface like Omron.
When it come to a price in most of the cases I compered Uni to others, they was expensive or closed.
So in the bottom line.
I do not use them even I loss job sometime (I get jobs with other platform)
Like or not like it individual for every one.I respect any one wishes.
Keep use them and contribute your share to our economy.

TIA

Have used Step7 MicroWIN, Step 7, RS Logix 500 and 5000. Step7 is awful. Every screen is extremely cluttered and setup takes for ever. Just a terrible program in general (you don't need a new damn program to come up for ever operation!) MicroWIN I can tolerate, but it is not very powerful.

For address based systems RS Logix 500 is the best. For tag based systems RS Logix 5000 is the best. Only downside is licensing but you can't escape that with most softwares these days so that is kind of null.

Oh yea, I hate Step7 in case I was not clear on that point.

Remember ICOM AI for PLC5. I used to be pretty good using the "dot" commands. LOL.

In all seriousness as a programmer I would say that AB Logix 5000 version 16 with the Add Ons and function block liscense you have a pretty powerfull platform to program with.