ZEN V2: sequential reuse of output bits ?

Thanks Lancie1.

I've just got back from a work trip, hence my delay in responding.

Tonight I will have a go implementing your last program. I'll let you know how I get on.

In terms of the motor shaft timing inaccuracy - to be fair I think this was due to a couple of things beyond my control, such as decimal precision with the timers (not quite enough resolution), and probably some effect of ambient temperature on changes in wiring resistance (what worked for a warm afternoon didn't seem to work as well the following cold morning). The cut out switch will solve all this.

If the 12-timer version seems to work better, one reason might be the minimized overlap between each time-switching point.

If the 12-timer version seems to work better, one reason might be the minimized overlap between each time-switching point.

Yes I agree this should help too.

Last night I tried the 12 timer program. Where I seemed to have hit a snag was in the cut-out of the Q2 output to the motor. What it looked like it was doing was proceeding according to the timer, tripping itself out momentarily when I1 was ON, but then proceeding thereafter until the timer was finished. I tried varying the 1.5 sec timers up to 3 sec, but this didn't seem to improve on things.

Also, I couldn't seem to get the sequence to restart with I0 (button press) :confused:

While I was trying to troubleshoot, it occurred to me that I don't really need a timer for Q2 anymore right? The Q2 output should remain ON until I1 is momentarily active (tripped by the motor shaft), then OFF; then essentially just wait in an OFF state until the next Q2 ON signal (following the 1 sec timer for Q1).

I tried putting together a simplified version of the program just to test this:

IO
[n.o.]..................[M0
M0
[n.o.]..................TT0
T0
[n.o.]..................[Q0
P0
[n.o.]..................TT1
T1
[n.o.]..................[Q1
P1........I1
[n.o.]...[n.c]........[Q2

That wasn't really what I wanted. As soon as the I1 switch went OFF, Q2 went back ON. Basically there's just enough momentum in the motor for the shaft to trip the shaft switch then rotate slightly past it, returning it to a normally open position. Hence, the logic above just keeps the motor running indefinitely with only intermittent cut-outs.

I think I need some kind of holding timer after I1 goes ON, so that the next sequence starting with Q0 prevents the motor from starting again.

I'm a bit stuck on this! :confused:

I think I need some kind of holding timer after I1 goes ON, so that the next sequence starting with Q0 prevents the motor from starting again.
Yes, something like that. Q2 could have a Lock-out bit that is Set by the I1 switch. A momentary closure of I1 stops Q2 and locks it out until the Q0 timer Resets the Q2 Lock-out bit.

I could add that to the 12-timer R2 version. I think it would work without doing away with the Q2 timers.

Maybe the M1 "Q2 Lockout" relay will lock Q2 off until the end-of-cycle, as shown in this picture.
Also, I couldn't seem to get the sequence to restart with I0 (button press)
That is because the only "stop" command you have is the Counter bit. If the counter does not count to 1, then M0 is still sealed in. If you need to stop and restart the process somewhere in-between, add a STOP button to Rung 0 (Normally Closed input switch to a Normally Open I3 instruction to the right of C0 --|/|--| |-- on Rung 0).

Sequential Outputs- MJG Rev 3.JPG

Last edited:
Ok that worked through the first sequence just fine. i.e.,

T0 & Q0
T1 & Q1
T3 & Q2

At this point the program stopped. So, T4 & Q0 etc were all ignored?

If you need to stop and restart the process somewhere in-between, add a STOP button to Rung 0 (Normally Closed input switch to a Normally Open I3 instruction to the right of C0 --|/|--| |-- on Rung 0).

No, I don't really have a need for this.

What I meant was, the program executed the first sequence of Q0 ON (3 sec), Q1 ON (1 sec), Q3 ON (1.5 sec) then stopped. I wasn't sure if this was intended. So, I pressed the I0 button again but nothing happened.

I tried increasing the counter (C0) to 2, then 3, but this didn't seem to change anything.

I see now that my simple fix will not work. Apparently the I1 Shaft Switch closed on the very first cycle (when T1 goes ON). The fix only resets the M1 "Q2 Lockout" on the LAST iteration of Q2, not the first. Also, it does not cancel the timers, so that they keep running for the complete cycle, even though Q2 is not on.

I am not sure right now what will be needed for a complete fix that incorporates the unpredictable closure of the I1 Shaft switch. Let me study the problem.

If I1 goes on, does the remaining time for Q2 have to be canceled? If so, that is a different can of worms.

Last edited:
The OP need get info the motor ramp down or any break apply and how the shaft switch behavior

i have programmed maybe not expected probably some idea to modified.

if request i will post it.

Try this Revision 4. It tries to bypass the current timer when I1 goes ON during any Q2 ON period. It seems to work to cancel the Q2 time if I1 goes on just before or during the Q2 ON periods. If I1 goes on during Q0 and Q1 times, then errors occur.

Osmanmon, can you see how to fix the problem with this ZEN program?

Last edited:
I think that a momentary closure of I1 should only bypass (or skip) the Q2 Output ON periods.

I1 ON should also cause the timers that control Q2 to be skipped, so that there are not waiting periods with no purpose.

Last edited:
i not so understand what the OP requirement ,little bit confuse,

i attach my program if you can see anything,

maybe right,maybe wrong

Osman,
Your Version 3 looks very good.

I am not sure if MJG wanted Q2 to be disabled for the 3 remaining time periods, if I1 went ON in the 1st period.

Maybe between my version and your version, some solution can be found that will be acceptable!

Last edited: