You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 11th, 2018, 04:40 PM   #1
stallone
South Africa

going online to compact logix via enbt

Hi all,

i have a plc rack with control logix 1756-L61 (rev 12) and in the rack is the plc, controlnet card 1756-cnb/d, and the 1756-enet card.

I can go online via a rs232 cable to the plc directly.

I cannot however go online via the ethernet port of the enet card in the rack.
I am in the same ip range as i can ping and get a reply from the card but rslinx cant browse the enet card and i cant browse it in rswho.

I have my scada connected to the plc rs232 port and i would like to leave it connected and at the same time go online to the plc via the ethernet port, therefore i can see scada indication and plc bits same time.

Is there any trick to the above
Old January 11th, 2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

> rslinx cant browse the enet

Verify that the part number is 1756-ENET. These were the original 10 MB half-duplex Ethernet modules for ControlLogix.

To verify that you are using the IP address, I recommend trying to connect to the 1756-ENET using a Web browser, or by using TCPING (from elifulkerson.com) with TCP Port 44818.

You can also browse across the backplane from the CPU's RS-232 port and right-click on the module to see its configuration.

There are two RSLinx Ethernet drivers; the "Ethernet Devices" and the "EtherNet/IP" driver.

You will need to use the Ethernet Devices driver, in which you must add the IP address of the 1756-ENET to the station list.

I think that the old 1756-ENET modules did not support the broadcast packet type of browsing that the modern EtherNet/IP driver uses, so they would not show up in that driver.
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:03 PM   #3
stallone
South Africa

it is definatly the 1756-enet/A.
i can ping the enet card using cmd/run cammand in windows.

when i am online with the rs232 port on the plc i can see the enet card and it is working and no faults. the ip address i see is the ip address im using.

i must say i have been trying to use the ethernet/ip drivers.
Old January 12th, 2018, 03:42 PM   #4
stallone
South Africa

Just an update, i went and setup the Ethernet devices driver and set the ip address as the host name and connected straight away.

Thank you Ken Roach
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum