GE Versamax micro:"OK led" down by going online

I do have a problem with a GE Versamax micro PLC.
By going online (on Port 1) the "OK led" goes down. Power led stays
On Port 2 no reaction at all
Cable and settings are tested on another Versamax micro and are working well.

Regards
John

Hi Steve,
By disconnecting the cable on Port1 the "ok led" comes on again, without power cycle.
On port 2 I tried to communicatie by using the cable with converter. I want to upload the current program

I'm assuming you can't start the PLC running with the run/stop switch while the cable is disconnected.
Do you also lose the OK LED if you plug the cable into Port 1 without the cable connected to the computer running Machine Edition? There is 5VDC power on the port. Its possible something is dragging that supply down when you connect the cable. To check, monitor the 5VDC between pins 5 and 7 of Port 2 while you pug your cable into Port 1. The following from the manual GFK1645G might be a description of what you're experiencing.

In the event that a short occurs across 5VDC on any serial port on a VersaMax
Micro or Nano PLC manufactured after June 2005, date code 523 (the date code
is a three-digit code located on side of unit) the unit will power down until the
short is removed. By removing the short, the unit will recover fully.

Steve,
Thanx for the reply. You gave me the right direction to investigate the issue.
I took an older laptop (with fysical com port, win XP, ME 5.5) and that works.
Now it is possible to communicate with the Versamax micro without troubles.
With my other laptop I must use an USB-RS232 converter for communication. The problems then start as soon as I klick the communication button in ME.
Firmware Versamax Micro: 2.71

Thanx for your support