going online with compact logix

amy456

Hello there...I was wondering if someone can help me out.

I am a co op student in the controls dep in a manufacturing facility and have some basic questions.

What are the steps/tips for getting online with a compact logix processor.

The software that I have and believe I need is RSlogix5000 and rslinx.

I know that I would need a XO cable to go directly or any ethernet to go through the hub.

But I am a little puzzled as to the order of steps I need to follow.

Like do I need to go through Rslinx first or go through logix5000.

Do I need to set Ip on my laptop? static ,dhcp?

I know that these are basic questions but I am just a little confused about the process.đź“š
Thank you in advance:geek:

If connecting directly to processor, connect a crossover cable. Use a static IP. Setup up Linx driver, use either ethernet devices driver, or ethernetIP driver. If using ethernet, under config enter the IP address of processor. The basic thing to realize, if you can't see the PLC within Linx, then don't even bother with 5000. Try these steps and see if you have good results. After you can see things under Linx, connecting to a PLC under 5000 is simple. Go to Communications, then Who Active, from here you will select the appropriate Linx driver, then find the PLC... select and go online, assuming you have the program, if not then upload.

Did that help?

Yes it did! Thank you very much for the help Phrog30

On my end, on the laptop do I just set the static IP to something close to the processor that I am connecting to ? For example: if processor ip is 203.203.203.201, then would I set mine to 203.203.203.205?

subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

gateway : nothing

Thank you for the help once again:D