Exhaust inside hazardous location panel

DaveW

I have a bank of solenoids located inside a purged enclosure in a Class 1 Division 1 hazardous area. The problem I have is that because the solenoids exhaust inside the panel, water can accumulates over time and may cause a problem. I've been told to run the exhaust to the exterior of the panel but not sure if this will cause a problem with the hazardous classification. I also want to install a dryer and air filter at the air supply end hoping to eliminate the water problem altogether but just to be safe, how would I fix the exhaust problem?

The idea of a Class 1 Div 1 enclosure is to allow for expansion but at the same time arrest the flame before it exits the enclosure. If you exhast to the exterior of the enclosre you will need to do it through some type of flame arrestor.

Since this is a purged enclosure, I assume there is a spring loaded exhaust port, can you pipe the solenoid exhaust to somewhere near this exhaust port? Then it should be carried out with the exhaust stream. If you pipe the exhaust to the classified area you may need a flame arrestor or detonation arrestor, I would check with your enclosure mfg. or perhaps your insurance carrier, before making any modifications.

Ken