You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 18th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #1
HoldenC
United States

Multimeter.....Daily carry.

I did a search and came across a post about comparing meter brands, but id like to have a discussion about what meter you carry, and why. Im getting ready to buy a new meter, and I just wanted to see what everyone else had.

I help talk care of the PLCs here, as well as working with 3 phase 480v, and 3 phase 4160V (which i dont think is possible to check with any meter Ive found).

Right now I carry a Fluke 323, nothing fancy. It gets the job done, but Id like to have more functionality. Looking for backlighting, HZ, capacitance, clamp that can measure 4-20ma, im sure more that Im forgetting.

I just wanted to get ideas form other people.
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #2
iDoWell4
United States

Meter

I use the Fluke 289 True-RMS meter. It's a little bulky, but the main reason I got this was to be able to record current. If you get the Amp Clamp with it, you can use the meter to record the average current, max current, and min current. It also has the magnetic attachment so you can work with both hands when using it.

Fluke, as you know, is a great meter with great customer service. I've dropped mine and cracked the screen, and they repaired for a great price.

I've not seen an attachment to meter 4-20ma, I just put the leads in series.
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #3
scott.lawrence
United States

Fluke 87-V

pretty much my all-purpose meter
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Dravik
United States

I carry a Fluke 789 for the loop functions.
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Lallers66
United States

Fluke for life

I'd pick a FLUKE that suits your need.
None that I've seen are for above 1000VAC, you might have to use something else. If not for safety reasons.

I usually use a 179 and that fills my needs in all the cases I've needed.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digi....htm?PID=56027

You can buy a clamp-on to it or get a separate for this purpose, so you can measure Volts and amps simultaneously.
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:47 PM   #6
James Mcquade
United States

Fluke 87-V multimeter

fluke 725 process calibration meter.
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #7
SledDog
United States

Fluke 787 and 773 Milliamp process clamp meter for the 4-20 stuff
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #8
JeremyM
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mcquade View Post
Fluke 87-V multimeter

fluke 725 process calibration meter.
This plus my 289. Well, and a second 87-V.
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #9
Bob O
United States

Fluke 189 and 789.
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #10
GaryS
United States

I usually carry 2 meters one small limited one for quick readings on the fly and a real good meter when I need the better accuracy.
I was using a Fluke 233 worked very well no problems until somebody decided to help themselves to my tools locked in my truck.
I am now looking at an AEMC more features.
one word of advise for anybody in the trade when selecting a meter chose one the has a rating of 1000 volts dc if you do anything with vfd's you will need it to read the buss voltage the buss voltage on a 480 v vfd is 750v to 850v a 600 v meter can't handle that.
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:18 PM   #11
Toine
Netherlands

Most people here use Flukes and for good reason, they are fine and rugged meters. I do not use one, mine is a Brymen BM257s. This is a rather compact yet comfortable, rugged and reliable meter. It has been torn apart by enthusiasts around the internets and unanimously declared a good bit of kit inside and out. It doesn't do kilovolts nor the 4-20mA clamp thing, other than that it has got everything that I need. It is UL listed, missed that in your requirements (you may have seen that as an obvious attribute). Very affordable, and less likely to be nicked from your toolbox than a Fluke.

For checking basic presence or lack of 3-ph 480V I prefer a duspol voltage tester to a multimeter.
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #12
bjh
United States

I've found my Fluke 787 invaluable for process troubleshooting. It's great to be able to source 4-20ma and have an excellent meter in the same unit, especially if you spend a lot of time in the field.

I got mine used on eBay for something like $380 and it's been worth every penny.
Old October 19th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #13
gas
United States

I have had Flukes all my career.
After a post on this site I bought a Redfish i DVM 510.
I have already knocked it off a 6 ft ladder and got it all greasy from dirty hands. So far so good.
I still prefer Fluke silicone leads.
For a hundred plus bucks it looks like a good deal.

Old October 19th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #14
bjh
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas View Post
I have had Flukes all my career.
After a post on this site I bought a Redfish i DVM 510.
I have already knocked it off a 6 ft ladder and got it all greasy from dirty hands. So far so good.
I still prefer Fluke silicone leads.
For a hundred plus bucks it looks like a good deal.
I too purchased a Redfish iDVM 510 for its Bluetooth Low Energy capabilities. The phone app and its features worked great but the quality of the meter just didn't hold up for me. The leads made a poor, loose connection at the meter and readings became intermittent, and the magnet strap wasn't strong enough to hold it up on anything (especially in contrast to the Fluke magnet which is quite strong). I ended up returning it. I suppose I could have used Fluke leads and a Fluke magnet strap on it but that adds another $100+ bucks just to bring it up to snuff.
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #15
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.lawrence View Post
Fluke 87-V

pretty much my all-purpose meter
Same here, I carry 87v in my backpack... but have everyone back in the shop as a backup and I only travel local these days so its a short ride if I find myself going off the deepend
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum