You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 26th, 2018, 07:24 PM   #1
bulletin blues
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Upgrading RsStudio Software Revisions

About 2 years ago, I upgraded 6 workstations to Rockwell Rev 26.0. This included all the RsLinx, and RsNetworx, and rsView revisions that were required. Everything is working. I'm NOT planning on flashing any firmware at this point. I DO NOT NEED TO UPGRADE at this time.

I do have a tech connect contract.

I would like to be prepared for the next upgrade at our facility.

If I wanted to upgrade to the latest and greatest, should I install every revision, or can I just skip to Rev. 30, and that will install/be compatible with all the older stuff (27-29) as well?

Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:25 AM   #2
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

If you add v30 alongside v26 then every project you open >v26, you will have to change the controller to v30 one when you open it and update the firmware when you download.

It will open v26 projects in v26 though and you can still download as normal.

If you have Tech Connect, you may as well install all the versions between v26 and v30 if they are available to you.
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:50 PM   #3
bulletin blues
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Thanks janner_10! That makes sense to me. I remember the last time I upgraded, at some point I had to Un-install every revision, and then re-install building my way back up. This was also 6 workstations... In this case, I probably should have let I.T. handle it, ha ha. There was something about the installed Factory Talk revision was "newer" than the one I was trying to install, so I had to uninstall, and it just seemed to keep looping over until I started from scratch.

Any way, I have another question. If I have the option of installing revision 27.0.0, or installing 27.00.01, can I just install revision 27.00.01?

It looks like there are quite a few minor revisions available. I should be able to just install the "newest" revision. Correct?

I appreciate your input.

Cheers!
Old January 27th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Operaghost
United States

Correct. Many versions (the first number) have had multiple minor revisions (the second number). You can only have one minor revision installed for each major version. So you can add version 27 to your machine, but you would add either revision 27.00 or 27.01, not both. And I made up those revision numbers, those may not be actual revisions.

There were some issues with the version 20 and 21 revisions that you had to be careful about. RA fixed the issue with v20 but not with v21. But it sounds like you are well beyond that version so it should not be an issue.

Other than v21, it is probably best to install the latest revision.

OG
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum