You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:55 AM   #1
locotumbler
United States

Micrologix 1200 sticking relay

I have an issue on a system i've inherited. I had one of my relay outputs sticking on. When the lights off and i'm still getting voltage through it and I tap on the unit itself it releases. I thought initially since the system was around 9 years and over 5 million cycles that it simply failed. I replaced the PLC and had no issues for about 50k cycles, with the way we are running it now is like 3 days, and the relay started doing the same thing. It is running a small solenoid valve. I moved the output to a different unused output but on the same COM supply and had the output itself run an ice cube relay. I was gone yesterday and come in today to find out it started doing the same thing.

the system is running 24vdc through the relay. Any ideas on where I might start a deeper inspection into this? Could it possibly be getting back-fed from somewhere else on that COM?

Thank you in advance.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:22 AM   #2
g.mccormick
United States

If it is actually relay output, it's probably due to voltage spike from connected coil. Put in a flyback diode across the solenoid to extinguish voltage spikes.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:46 AM   #3
James Mcquade
United States

relay outputs have a lifespan before they fail, look at the specs of your system.
I had the same issue, and eventually had to go to a triac output.
in your case I would go with solid state dc outputs and also do as suggested.

james
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum